Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Birds Discuss the Evolution of Their Mates and How It Benefits Them

     (BLUE and RED are sitting in a tree, chatting.)

BLUE:  What do you think of the new beak?

RED:  Can I tell you?

BLUE:  I know what you're going to say.

RED:  I am OBSESSED with the new beak.

BLUE:  Is it not amazing?

RED:  So much better for pecking at things.

BLUE:  I love a man who can peck.

RED:  If a man can't peck, I don't want him.

BLUE:  What am I going to do with a stubby beak?

RED:  You think you're coming near me with a stubby beak?  I don't think so.

BLUE:  I don't think so.

RED:  I don't think so, mister.

BLUE:  I don't think so.

RED:  Only took two hundred years for evolution to even that out for us.

BLUE:  What a time to be alive. Imagine our great-great-great grandmothers. Our poor great-great-great grandmothers. Having no choice but to procreate with stubby-beaked birds.

RED:  And the tails.

BLUE: What about the tails?

RED: The tails used to be grey and white.

BLUE:  Grey and white?

RED:  Yes!

BLUE:  Who the hell wants to procreate with a grey and white-tailed bird?

RED:  You had no choice.  Two thousand years ago, you had no choice.

BLUE:  That's probably why all those species died out.

RED:  I wouldn't be surprised.

BLUE:  Because if you think I would procreate with a plain-tailed bird--

RED:  How do you even feel like it?

BLUE:  I mean, to keep the species alive I guess--

RED:  Even then, I think I'd have a hard time.

BLUE:  It's so much better now with all the colors.

RED:  You know, Robin procreated with a male who had a purple streak in his tail.

BLUE:  You're kidding me.

RED:  Dead serious.

BLUE:  Go Robin!

RED:  Got a nice wingspan, too.

BLUE:  The ones with the nice tails always do.

RED:  But you can't do anything about the talons.

BLUE:  That's just something you learn to live with, I guess.

RED:  Or maybe they'll change. You know, if it keeps being unattractive to the females, eventually it'll fade out.

BLUE:  We'll be long dead by then.

RED:  I know.

BLUE  We can't be greedy. We already got the nice beaks.

RED:  And the tails.

BLUE:  We can put up with the talons.

RED:  Yeah.

     (A beat.)

But our great-great-great granddaughters won't have to.

BLUE:  I know.

RED:  Lucky girls.

BLUE:  They'll never know how lucky they are.

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment