Thursday, August 13, 2020

The Deer Talk About Being Hit By a Car

      (KATHY and ANNE are eating in the forest.)

KATHY:  It just came out of nowhere.

ANNE:  I can't believe you're okay.

KATHY:  Well I wasn't.

ANNE:  No, I know.

KATHY:  That's the point.

ANNE:  I know.

KATHY:  Anne, I'm lying in the middle of the road--

ANNE:  My goodness.

KATHY:  I'm lying there, half out of my mind, wondering what the heck just happened--

ANNE:  Probably bleeding. Were you bleeding?

KATHY:  Oh there was blood everywhere.

ANNE:  That's incredible.

KATHY:  And then I hear them.

ANNE:  Who?

KATHY:  The people in the car.

ANNE:  They were talking?

KATHY:  They got out of the car and they were talking--

ANNE:  About the blood?

KATHY:  No.

ANNE:  Oh.

     (A beat.)

KATHY:  Anyway I'm on the ground--

ANNE:  Bleeding.

KATHY:  Anne.

ANNE:  Sorry.

KATHY:  And I hear them talking as they're standing over me.

ANNE:  How many were there?

KATHY:  Two. A buck and a doe.

ANNE:  How big were his antlers?

KATHY:  I didn't see any antlers.

ANNE:  (Scoffs.)  Not much of a buck, is he?

KATHY:  And I hear her saying he should quote--put me out of my misery.

ANNE:  Whaaaat?

KATHY:  Yes!

ANNE:  What does that mean?

KATHY:  Well, I didn't know at the time, but then, I hear her telling him to go get a rock and drop it on my head.

ANNE:  They were trying to kill you?

KATHY:  With a rock.  On my head.

ANNE:  You must have been terrified.

KATHY:  I was mainly just sore. From the look of that buck's arms, I couldn't imagine him picking up much of anything.

ANNE:  Thank goodness for that.

KATHY:  But then, he did manage to pick up this stone.

ANNE:  A stone?

KATHY:  I wouldn't call it a rock.  But the buck seemed so pleased with himself.

ANNE:  Did you think about getting up and making a run for it?

KATHY:  You know, I did, but you're not supposed to move if you're injured like that.

ANNE:  Well, you'd have to move eventually.

KATHY:  Well, I suppose you're right.

ANNE:  But you're just laying there--

KATHY:  I'm just laying there.

ANNE:  Blood all over the road.

KATHY:  I'm going to leave.

ANNE:  No, I'm sorry.

KATHY:  And the man takes the stone and he drops it. On my head.

ANNE:  You're kidding.

KATHY:  I'm not.

ANNE:  You are.

KATHY:  I'm not.

ANNE:  Wow.

KATHY:  And it stings a little, but I'm more worried about my back legs and whether or not they're broken.

ANNE:  Did you try wiggling them?

KATHY:  I did.

ANNE:  Did they wiggle?

KATHY:  They did.

ANNE:  So they weren't broken?

KATHY:  Apparently not. Otherwise I would have begged the buck to go get a bigger stone and finish the damn job.

ANNE:  Instead--

KATHY:  He's just dropping the stone on my head over and over again while the doe screams at him to drop it from a higher height and he's saying what is he supposed to do grow taller right there on the road, and then, the doe gets the brilliant idea to hit me with the car again.

ANNE:  Again?!?!

KATHY:  She thinks that'll murder me faster.

ANNE:  But it'll destroy their car.

KATHY:  And me, Anne!

ANNE:  I know, but I mean, those cars are so nice to look at.

KATHY:  And I'm not?

ANNE:  No, you are, but--

KATHY:  Anyway, as soon as they got back in the car, I said, 'Kathy, you've got to get out of here.'  So I jumped up--

ANNE:  On your broken legs?

KATHY:  They weren't broken.

ANNE:  Right.  The wiggling.

KATHY:  And I made a run for it.

ANNE:  Good for you!

KATHY:  The woman screamed. The man tried throwing the stone at me one last time and the woman--I could hear her--was saying 'Don't kill it now, Tom! It's fine!'

ANNE:  She called you 'it?'

KATHY:  I think it's worse that the buck's name was Tom.  What kind of buck is named Tom?

ANNE:  Well, I'm glad you made it out okay.

KATHY:  Barely.

ANNE:  True.

KATHY:  But you're right. I'm very lucky.

     (A beat.)

ANNE:  So what happened to all that blood?

KATHY:  Oh Anne.

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment