Thursday, September 17, 2020

I Believe That Your Doll Is Possessed By A Demon

      (HELEN speaks to little MICHELLE, who is in bed holding a creepy looking doll.)

HELEN:  Michelle, I believe you.

MICHELLE:  You do?

HELEN:  Yes.

MICHELLE:  So...you think a demon really is possessing my doll?

HELEN:  I do.

MICHELLE:  You believe that she's the reason all the windows are always open?

HELEN:  I do.

MICHELLE:  And the reason the dog ran away?

HELEN:  I do.

MICHELLE:  And the reason it's always so cold in here?

HELEN:  Well, your father refuses to turn on the heat before December, so I think that might have more to do with it, but otherwise, yes, I'm sure the doll could be partly to blame since it keeps opening all the windows.

MICHELLE:  I thought I was going to have to really convince you.

HELEN:  Sweetie, there are a million movies about haunted dolls. Why would they make that many movies about something that doesn't exist?

MICHELLE:  But that doesn't mean you would believe this specific doll is haunted.

HELEN:  I mean, we bought it from a Romanian woman on the side of the road who told us that if we brought it home, death would come to our house.

MICHELLE:  Then why did you do it?

HELEN:  Because it's so cute!  And you love dolls. And I'm not that superstitious.

MICHELLE:  But you believe me?

HELEN:  Michelle, of course I believe you. I'm your mother. If you tell me anything, I am going to believe you.

MICHELLE:  But you didn't believe me when I told you I hate karate.

HELEN:  It's not that I didn't believe you, it's that we had already paid for the class and there was no refund, so--It's more like a 'I believe you, but use this as a chance for growth' moment.

MICHELLE:  But the doll--

HELEN:  The doll--if it's haunted--is worth way more if it's haunted, so you see--chance for growth. And profit. Which is a form of growth.

MICHELLE:  So I can't keep it?

HELEN:  You can keep it--in your heart.

MICHELLE:  What does that mean?

HELEN:  You know how we don't let you see Grandma anymore because she won't loan us anymore money?

MICHELLE:  Yes.

HELEN:  But you keep her in your heart.

MICHELLE:  So I can't see the doll anymore?

HELEN:  Michelle, why would you want to see a haunted doll?  Aren't you scared of it?

MICHELLE:  Not really. I think it's kind of cool.

HELEN:  It's cool until she murders someone.

MICHELLE:  You think she'd do that?

HELEN:  Of course she would!  Sweetie, are we not letting you watch enough rated-R movies?

MICHELLE:  No.

HELEN:  I mean, I still want you to avoid the sexy ones, but the violent ones are very informative.

MICHELLE:  I don't know.

HELEN:  What don't you know?

MICHELLE:  Maybe this is all just in my head.

HELEN:  It is not!  That doll is haunted.

MICHELLE:  But so many of the things I've been scared of turned out not to be real.

HELEN:  Like what?

MICHELLE:  The monster in my closet?

HELEN:  It could have jumped out the window when you ran to get me and Daddy.

MICHELLE:  The murderer under my bed?

HELEN:  When I checked, I thought I saw something, but I was tired so I just said there was nothing there, but thinking back, I can't be sure.

MICHELLE:  The Tooth Fairy?

HELEN:  Why were you scared of the Tooth Fairy again?

MICHELLE:  She collects teeth. It's weird.

HELEN:  Michelle, if you let me tell people the doll is haunted and you back me up, like a good daughter, we might be able to go to DisneyWorld.

MICHELLE:  I don't like DisneyWorld. I'd rather keep the haunted doll.

HELEN:  What if she tries to strangle you in your sleep?

MICHELLE:  I'm her owner. Why should we want to hurt me?  Isn't it more likely she would try to strangle you and Daddy in your sleep?

HELEN:  And you wouldn't want that, would you?

MICHELLE:  Well...Then I could go live with Grandma, and she's rich, so--

HELEN:  Give me the doll.

MICHELLE:  No.

HELEN:  Michelle, you cannot keep a haunted doll.

MICHELLE:  It's not haunted. I don't know what you're talking about. You sound very disturbed, Mother.

HELEN:  You told me it spoke to you!

MICHELLE:  Lots of dolls talk when you pull their string.

HELEN:  You said it spoke Aramaic!

MICHELLE:  So it's an educational doll. All the more reason to keep it.

HELEN:  You said you levitated the other night while you were holding it.

MICHELLE:  I must have an active imagination.

HELEN:  You have NO imagination!  You are the most boring child I--

MICHELLE:  Careful, Mother. You're making her mad.

     (A beat.)

HELEN:  All right. Never mind. Keep the doll. I'm sure it'll never...go missing.

MICHELLE:  I hope not. If I know my Aramaic, I'd say she's very fond of me. I doubt she'd like to be separated from me.

HELEN:  Fine. But see if you get any money for those loose molars of yours.

     (HELEN exits. THUNDER. The room turns RED.)

MICHELLE:  Eh. Still not as scary as the Tooth Fairy.

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment