Wednesday, September 2, 2020

This Protector

 I’m going to be

A lake

In the middle
Of a desert


I’m going to be blue
I’m going to be cool

I’m going to be at ease

No matter how hot

It gets around me


I’m going to stay

Even when
It won’t rain


I’m going to be inviting

Even when
Too many show up
And ask me

To explain myself


I’m going to live forever

Even when the sand

Starts creeping up on me


Nothing’s going to change

Nothing’s going to shake me up

Nothing’s going to make me think

I have to count backwards
From a hundred

And leave where I know

I should be


When the house starts to rattle

And the bulldozers

Try telling me

That the rent wasn’t paid

I’ll show ‘em the checks

And the money

That’s not there

And go under the boards

Until I hear the roof come in

And I’ll laugh

Because I’m not there


I’m a lake

I’m a big bucket of water

And the heat won’t tell me

Where to go


Under the boards

I’ll be eating my tuna sandwich

And when they build a new house

It’ll be me in the dirt

With the worms

And my skin won’t be skin

It’ll be the tadpoles


My hair won’t be hair

It’ll be the reeds


The boat you see going by

Will be all the stories

I got told

That I couldn’t forget


The hills of West Virginia

Are drier than a desert

When you need a friend


But I don’t need anything

But that first bit of water

And from there

It’ll spread

Like when you drop

Orange juice

On the kitchen floor


You’ll see me

Get bigger and bigger

Until I’m bigger than the desert

And nothing’s bigger

Than the desert


You’ll see me

Go all across the globe

Like one big ocean

That forgot

To break apart


Nobody will know

I was under the boards

And that I wasn’t tall

Or smart

Or that I was an American


The bulldozers thought they got me

But nothing can get me


If you want the rent

You gotta come see me

While you hold your breath


Ask the fish where I am

And they’ll laugh in your face

Because you don’t think

Something can be so different

From what it was

When you were looking for it


My brain won’t be diseased

Because it’ll be trees

Growing along

The sides of me


I’ll be the place

For people to come

And sit

And feel relief


You’ll never be able

To stop me

From making

Who I am

What I am

Something everybody loves


Just gotta

Become that thing first


But now

I gotta sit tight


But now
I gotta just

Sit tight

No comments:

Post a Comment