Monday, April 30, 2012

Bland

I am a secondary character

And so
It is crucial
That I remain
Bland

Even using the word 'bland'
Is dangerous
For someone like me

A good vocabulary draws too much attention
It makes you seem well-rounded
Fleshed-out
Circular
Round
Whatever

It makes you seem like a lead
And I'm not a lead
I'm not even a supporting character

I hide in the back
And contribute
With my...space

This self-awareness is tricky
Because
Again
It makes me seem interesting

The moment I'm interesting
My workload increases ten-fold
And my creators get angry
Because suddenly
They have another character
They have to write for

Suddenly I need a story-line
And a love interest
And deep emotion

Suddenly standing in the background
Is no longer an option

It might not sound like much of a life
But it's easy
It's comfortable

There's absolutely no chance
That anything interesting
Will ever happen to me
And that's...

Relaxing

I may live forever
Bland people have been known to actually
Provided they don't step out of their--

Would you call it a comfort zone?

...I did love someone once

Briefly

We, uh, we used to stand together
Next to trees and in the background
Of parade scenes
Stuff like that

And so we got to talking
And before we knew it
We were...

And I wanted to keep quiet
But she, uh...

She wanted to upgrade
To own what we...had
What we were
What we were in

She wanted to be in love
To just...do it

And they got rid of her

The, uh...

She got put in some movie
Where she died of a terminal illness

I was a doctor walking by
When she died

I was staring at a clipboard
I was emotionless

I felt...nothing

There are benefits to being bland
And there are...

Drawbacks

But if you focus on the benefits

If you just look at them
And never look away

You fail to see the drawbacks
You fail to worry
You fail to want more

You never know joy
You never know passion
You never feel or experience anything

Not really

You just stand in the back
And watch other people
Live their lives

And sometimes you think--

Well...

That looks nice

And then you just...

Think about something else

Something else
Entirely

No comments:

Post a Comment