Saturday, April 7, 2012

The Geometry of a Dragonfly

You don’t need to remember the names

Emperor
Yellow-winged darter
Banded pennant

Not necessary

Not even for extra credit

What you need to remember is the geometry
What it is exactly
That makes up
A dragonfly

To best illustrate this
I’ve given you a series
Of seventy-two page hand-outs
That touch upon
Merely glide against
The make-up
Of this insect

But if you want to skip the hand-out
And ace the exam
Just listen
To the following story:

When I was four years old
I caught a dragonfly in a jar

I’m not sure how I did this
Or who gave me the jar
But I remember it distinctly

My mother cut small slits
In the lid of the jar
So the dragonfly could breathe
And, because I was still concerned
We found an even bigger jar
To put it in
So it could have some room
To move around

There was a shelf above my bed
And that’s where I put the dragonfly
Before I went to sleep

Somehow I felt safer
Having it above me like that

When I woke up a few hours later
There was a man
Standing above my bed

He reached for me
At least, I thought he did
And I was going to scream
But I was so terrified
I just pulled the covers up over my head

Then I felt him reach for something above me

My dragonfly jar

I pulled the covers back down
And he was sitting in my open window

It was July
And the air smelled like an old radiator

The man was holding the jar

He a hat with a low brim
Covering his face
And a long brown jacket
And boots
Dirty boots
That looked like they’d just gone through a swamp

He stared at me
I stared back

Then he raised the jar over his head
And threw it down onto the floor

Instantly, the entire room
Was on fire

And the man fell backwards
Out the window

I don’t remember who pulled me out of the room
But my nightgown was black
And some of my hair
Had gotten singed

That was the worst of it though
If you don’t count the house
Which burned to the ground

 I remember standing outside
With a blanket wrapped around me
One from the firefighters

And I remember the jar hitting the floor
And the dragonfly being released into the air
And immediately turning into fire

That’s what happens when you contain something

You run the risk of it escaping
And becoming more
Than you thought it was

More than could be contained

Dragonflies are made out of fire
And other things

Things you can find in the handout

But all you really need to remember is this:

There are some things you can capture
And some you can’t

And it’s very important
To know which is which

No comments:

Post a Comment