Thursday, April 12, 2012

The Mentor

It's not a bad painting
Nobody's saying it's bad

I can't sell it, of course
But you know that
That's no great surprise
Is it?

I didn't think so

I'd sit, but there's paint everywhere
And broken glass

You didn't cut yourself again, did you?

The, oh what would we say--?

The marketability? --of the painting
It's not something to be concerned about

I'm not always worried
About whether or not
I can sell your work

I worry about bigger things than that
I worry about the big picture
The progress
The road we're going down
Together

We're doing this together
You know that, don't you?

Sometimes I think you forget
That I'm invested in this too

That I don't just stand by
And wait for you to produce something
So I can run it downtown
And stick a price tag on it

I am very, very invested in you

But this?

This is not good

This is not progress
This is--

I don't know what this is

But obviously it concerns me

As a mentor

As someone who believes in you
And sees something like this
And knows what it is

Knows that it's really just...

Laziness

So I'm going to leave
Hit the lights
Lock the door

And you need to sit here for a second
And make a decision
About where you want to go from here

Do you want to stand up
And turn on the lights
And start from scratch
So that maybe in a few days
I actually proof
That I haven't been throwing my life away
For the past seven years?

Or do you want to pick up a piece of broken glass
And finish what you started last time?

Because everyone's tired
Of your bullshit artist nonsense

It's one thing when you're actually producing
When you're being productive
But when you're just sitting here
Like...

Well then it's just annoying

A suicide is a tragic thing
A suicide attempt is pathetic

Such a fine line

I mean, when you really think about it

So think
Think very hard
About what your next step is

And remember
That no matter what you decide
I'm with you

I'm with you all
The way

No comments:

Post a Comment