Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sully the Cat and the Square of Light

It mocks me
The square

It doesn't move, necessarily
But it sort of...calls to me

Sully...

Sully...it says

My tail wags
Which is unfortunate
Because tails give off energy
And energy
The appearance of energy
Into a non-energetic field
Can give you away
When you're stalking something

Especially a square of light

Oh, I know what you're thinking

Sully, it's just a square of light
You can't catch it

That's what they said about the yarn
That's what they said about the dust ball
That's what they said about the mouse at the end of the stick

And each of those times they were wrong
And by 'they' I mean, the voices I hear in my head
Whenever I'm on the hunt

I imagine they're the voices of my brothers and sisters
I was the runt of my litter
And so my siblings were always discouraging me
From doing anything
But dying from malnourishment

But I prevailed

And now here I am
Facing yet another opponent

The illusive square of light

And it mocks me

It quietly and confidently
In its own way
Dares me

To capture it

But I'm too smart for that

To make an immediate move
To shoot for instant satisfaction

Instead I'll just wait

Until the sun starts to set
And the square
Gets smaller and smaller

Then I'll do it

I'll pounce

Until then I'll bide my time
And play with my yarn

After all, I've got all the time in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment