Tuesday, June 23, 2015

We Might Be Heroes: The Car in Front of Me

The car in front of me could explode
It could explode right now

It’s not moving
Nothing’s moving

This is standstill traffic
The sort of traffic that makes you lose faith
In whatever goodness
Might exist
Within humanity

And I can make the car in front of me explode
And the car after that
And the car after that

I can make this entire highway explode
I can make everything around me
Burst into flames
As my little car
Drives forward
Past the wreckage and the rubble
Me, humming a little tune
The Apocalypse a lovely drive
On a summer’s day

I’m in a rush
I’m in a rush and I’m stuck in traffic
Which means that right now
I am a bad person

I am wishing awful things
On everyone around

I am thinking the sorts of things
That, if anyone could hear them,
Would probably have me jailed

And because I can do what I can do
I am also a dangerous person

Because even though I have a certain amount of control
It’s dwindling
It’s dwindling and I’m sitting here
And I need to move
I really need to move
But we’re not moving
And the traffic is butter cream frosting
It stretches out in front of me so far
I can’t even see what the cause of the traffic is
Although I suspect
There was a fender bender
And everyone wants to stop and stare at it
For five to ten minutes
Before moving along
To wherever it is they’re going

And if that is the case
I will blow up
This entire city
Maybe this entire planet
Not out of anger
But because if human beings
Can honestly be that fascinated
By two cars tapping each other
Then society has failed
Civilization has failed
And we should all just call it quits

I would like to move
I would like to move—now
Please

People are leaning on their horns
As if that can make the car in front of you disappear
Or the six cars in front of the car in front of you

The horn is worthless
The entire car is worthless
Wheels out of motion
Engines just clearing their throats
Every once in awhile
Asphalt and orange cones
The occasional truck next to you
Like a whale sitting next to a sailboat

If I were to hear a horn right now
I would/I could destroy
The entire galaxy
I have that in me
I could it
I know I could

I could make this all
Go away

And wouldn’t I be doing everybody a favor?

Wouldn’t it all be better just…

A dog pops up in the backseat
Of the car in front of me

Its tongue is hanging out
It has one floppy ear
It smiles at me
A dog smile, but definitely a smile

I smile back

Nobody moves
Nothing moves
Time itself has to hold its breath

And far, far away
I hear…

…A horn

No comments:

Post a Comment