Tuesday, June 9, 2015

We Might Be Heroes: X-Ray Vision


I can see right through you

I could look at my brother
And see his dark thoughts
His periwinkle curiosity
The dreams he had of big cities
And small personalities

I could see his hands dipped in paint
Reddish gold with flecks of blue
Blue doesn’t belong there
Blue belongs in another can
Far across the room

They want to know what I can do
I can see right through you
And you and you

When the aliens come
They’ll let the crazy people
Out of the crazy hospitals
And the crazy houses
And the memory palaces
And the chosen vaults
And the pickling jars
And the produce sections
And the pharmacies
And the tanning booths
And the trespassing yards
And the fenced in anomaly situations

They’ll have us be the first wave
Us loony birds
Us cuckoo clocks
Us color blind
Us, us, us

They’ll make us take hands
And work our way around the earth
Like a gate with no door
No lock, no key

Blue light in flakes will fall down on us like snow
And we’ll dissipate into ozone holes
Like carbon vapor
Monastic dioxide

Can you use my x-ray vision?

Do you want me to look at the aliens
And tell them who they are?

Because when I do that now
I’m called homeless
I’m ignored
I’m walked by

When the world turns upside down
Will I be the sane one?
The genius?
The savior?

Will you look at me and ask for my help?
After refusing to help me
Over and over again?

Will I be your new god?

I looked at my brother once
And told him that his bones
Were made of candy canes
And he thought I was making a joke
But I wasn’t joking

They’ve lied to us, you see
We humans are not skin and blood and veins
The way they say we are

We’re candy canes and ginger snaps
Wasabi peas and tarragon
Association and disassociation
Contradictions and synonyms
Red and gold and bits of blue
That pop up when you don’t need them to

You see past me?
Well, I see through you

And I know what you’re going to do
And I know what I’m going to do

I’m going to try to hug those aliens
Wrap my arms around them
The way I did my brother
Tell them they don’t need to push and shove
To get a little bit of love

They only need to come in peace

Then I’ll close my eyes
And see for miles and years
And endless, endless time

How nice it’ll be
How nice it’ll be
How nice it’ll be

To close my eyes

No comments:

Post a Comment