Monday, June 22, 2015

We Might Be Heroes: The Orphan

Why is it in every movie
There’s a woman
Telling a man
Not to do the thing
Everybody needs him to do?

‘No, Scott, don’t box that guy.  If you take one more hit to the head, you could die!’
‘No , Daniel, don’t get on that ship.  We don’t need the money that bad.  And a storm’s comin’!’
‘No, Pete, don’t coach that team.  Me and the kids need you.’

Geez

I never wanted to be that woman
The one telling her husband
He shouldn’t do something
He wanted to do

If you want to do it, go right ahead
Just so long as you know
I’m going to do what I wanna do too, okay?

Okay

And me and my husband got along great

And by great, I mean
I don’t have a husband
Because who needs that, right?

I don’t do well with people

People need things from you
They need you to listen to ‘em
To love ‘em
To stick around when you’d rather go
To leave ‘em alone when you just want to be next to ‘em

People are a pain in the ass

I was an orphan, growing up
So I got used to it just being me

And nobody left me in a pretty basket somewhere either

I got left in a trash can
In an alley
Outside an apartment building
On the rougher side
Of an already pretty rough town

I was in an orphanage for the first part of my life
Then I got bounced around from foster home to foster home
And finally, when I was thirteen
I ran away
And fended for myself for a couple of years
Doing whatever I had to do
And at no point, did I ever trust somebody else
To give me something I needed
Or tell me the truth
Or love me
Or anything

But the one thing I could do
The one thing that helped me out the most
Was speed

I could always move fast
Really fast
And that got me out of
Some tough situations

Now I’m signing up for this Enhanced Abilities program
To see if I can put that skill to use
In this little skirmish we’re about to have

And it’s not because I want to be a hero

I haven’t survived this long
Just so I can die
And people can talk about how swell I was

No, I’m doing this because I want people to see
That it doesn’t matter where you start
It’s where you wind up

And a million people standing in front of you
Still can’t get in your way
The same way you can
If you decide you’re not enough on your own

Does that make sense?

You know, Superman’s an orphan too
So is Batman
And probably some others too
That I don’t know about

When I was growing up
Other kids around without parents
Would always feel ashamed
For not having folks

I never felt that way

In my mind, I told myself
That my parents just didn’t want
To hold me back
Or get in my way

They set me down
The same way we all gotta get set down sometime

I just got a head start

No comments:

Post a Comment