Tuesday, June 9, 2015

We Might Be Heroes: The Dollhouse



I made myself as small as I possibly could
But not to fight

To hide

I locked myself away in a doll house
In the basement of a house in the woods
With a slice of bread
And a dog dish full of water

According to my calculations
That should last me
Until after the aliens wipe out the earth
Or until the humans fight back and win
Or until the humans fight back, and sort of win
But send the entire planet
Into a state of chaos
Where hordes of maniacs
Will have to scavenge for food and supplies
At which point, maybe they’ll find this secluded cabin in the woods
But odds are, they won’t think to look in the little dollhouse in the basement
To see if there’s a tiny woman in there
Chewing on stale bread
And sitting on a plastic couch
Feeling ashamed of herself

When I was little
Well—younger
I used to tell my mom I was going outside
Then I’d shrink down
And sit in my dollhouse
With my inanimate friends
Pouring tea for them
Sitting in front of an imaginary fireplace
Trying to get warm

Downstairs I’d hear my parents fighting
Doors slamming
‘And another thing’
‘And another thing’
Until the other things gave birth
To other things
That created new things to fight about
And the tea would pour
And the invisible fire would burn
And I’d pull a sheet of Kleenex up to my chin
And try to fall asleep
On the plastic bed

They asked for people with superpowers
But what I have isn’t a superpower
It’s a defense mechanism

And I can’t teach others how to do it
I don’t even know how I do it
Plus, there’s only so much room
In the dollhouse

In the basement, it’s always dark
Because the windows are covered in grime
So I keep a candle burning
Next to the dollhouse
And I tell myself it’s a streetlamp
And that I’ve just come home from a party
With my loving husband
Who adores me
And I’ve just kissed my perfect daughter on her head
And told her to go right to sleep
Even though I know she was just waiting up for me

I smile and wink at her
So she knows I’m not all that cross
And then I close the door to her room
And get ready to take off my make-up
And join my husband in bed

But my daughter is a paper doll
And my make-up is made up melted crayons
And my perfect husband is a photo I found in a magazine
Of a boy who looks sad and inviting
All at the same time

When the candle burns out
I’ll grow myself up
Take another one from the box I brought with me
Light it
And shrink down again
Retreating into a night that could be daytime
And a house that could be anybody’s
And memories that fit like hand-me-down clothes
And a special power
That isn’t so special at all

Unless you like hiding

Unless you want to spend your life
Out of sight

No comments:

Post a Comment