Saturday, September 14, 2019

A Pin Drops

I couldn’t go to her funeral
Because, uh, well

I talked to my wife about it
She didn’t say much

But I know when she thinks
Something’s not a good idea

She’ll slam something down
And I know, Oh, okay, better not

Married thirty-six years to someone
And then you have to say good-bye
In your own way
Because your new wife of three years
Feels funny about it

Makes her feel like
She wants to slam something

That’s something I can’t understand
But there’s a lot of things
I don’t understand
About what hurts people
And what, uh, what they can ignore

That’s probably how I wound up
Divorced in the first place

Kept mistaking one
For the other

Hurts me to think of my kids
Standing in one of those receiving lines
Without their father there

But I told them how their stepmom felt about it
And they didn’t get too worked up

They’ve had to do a lot in life
On their own
So they probably figure
This is just one more thing

Still makes me mad though
And then I just get quiet
Because I never did learn
What to do about getting mad

My father used to give the nearest person to him
A good slap
And that seemed to help
But I was never much the physical type

My kids never had a hand laid on ‘em
But they never had a hug either

I used to say--

This is all I’ve got

Whether it was money
Time
Love
Anything

I’d hold up my hands and say--

That’s it, kids
That’s all I’ve got

Used to say it like it was funny
Even though
Nobody ever laughed but me

And sometimes
Not even me

I don’t know if they’re doing
Open or closed casket

She always was a beautiful woman
But I don’t know how the cancer--

What it did to her

Haven’t spoken to her in awhile

Last time we saw each other
Was at our youngest one’s wedding

I got a little too drunk
And asked her if she wanted to dance

She told me to take a walk

That woman never put up with my bullshit
Or anybody else’s
And that’s what always drove me nuts about her
And made me love her
At the same time

If I could stand up at that funeral
And say something
That’s what I’d say--

She never took any bullshit

I’d love to see the priest’s face
When he hears that

But it’s the truth

I don’t know how you keep somebody
So close for so long
And then push ‘em
So far away
But that’s what I did

That kind of sabotage
Is something
People write books about

So they can go looking
For a part of themselves
They don’t have anymore

But it’s not there
And it’s never going
To be there again

I hope lots of folks
Turn up for her

I’m sure they will

Now, when I die?

That’s going to be a lonely funeral

You’ll probably be able to hear a pin drop

And I’ll tell you something

I won’t be surprised
Not one bit

And I won’t blame
A goddamn soul

But me

No comments:

Post a Comment