Friday, September 13, 2019

Where I Was When the Wall Came Down

I was having a drink
And my friend told me about it

The wall
The wall is down

Crazy how we--

How I--

I just sat there
And I said, ‘Oh, how nice’
And I kept right on drinking
Because what was I to do?

Rush to where--

There were dissidents everywhere
Screaming, protesting
People with real passion
For what had just happened

And I was, uh--

Not my cup of tea, you know
To be the type of person
Who is there for something like that

But cheers to those people

Good on the ones
Who helped it happen
I just--

My father
He was a protester
He was one who spoke out
And when the walls would come down
For him
Wherever he was
The walls he helped bring down
He would celebrate
And not come home
For days on end

That was the life he wanted
And the kids he had were--

They were something
That he bumped into
Along the way
Do you know
What I’m saying, so--

So I have associations
With that kind of thing

I understand what they are
But I have them
And there’s not much
I can do about that

The pendulum--it swings
It goes back and forth

Because one generation
Costs another something
And so that one
Pays a price
And so on
And I’ve thought about--

I’ve thought about
What the cost was for me
And what I’m willing to pay

I’ve thought about it
A lot
Quite a lot
Too much, in fact

When they told me
The wall was coming down
I finished my drink
Paid my bill
And retired to my apartment
My nice apartment
Where I watched a little bit of the news
And then put on a film
I hadn’t seen in quite some time

One my father used to like

That was my way of saying--

To you, old man

Another victory
For your kind

That was the most I could do
That was…

All I was capable of

You know, I went to see a play
And, uh, a line from the play
It was something like--

Memory passes by you
But it won’t embrace

My father never embraced me
He wasn’t the type
To embrace his children
Only his mistresses
And the men he took company with as well

Only room in your heart
For one or two passions
And everything else
Gets a look from you
As the, uh, march marches on

And nobody asks
What it costs

Nobody ever asks

Who’s paying for this?

No comments:

Post a Comment