Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Can't Go Yet

You got your coat on
But you can’t go yet

Someone’s in the living room
Who hasn’t said
What they came to say

And there’s rain on the window
And snow on the ground

It might not be summer
But you can’t go yet

Got a little older
When I wasn’t looking

Made a few new friends
That I didn’t get to meet

Someone will still enjoy
Whatever day
Time has in mind

You’re not a stranger
And you can’t go yet

Down the stairs
Like you’re a tiger cub
Chasing

Sunday breakfast
And the weekend’s ending

It’ll be late
Before it’s too late

If you pack, pack me up
I won’t mind

You’re deliberate
And you can’t go yet

I bought the snacks you like
And filled the hall

Got photos of us
On every wall

I damaged too much
To ever repair

I’m not going to be here
Long enough
To forgive

You pulled in late at night
And thought I’d be asleep

Just like a coffee commercial
From 1993

I try to save it all
But I don’t have
The memory

I’ll forget all this
But you can’t go yet

We didn’t say
When I grew up
That leaving was all that bad

You just got used to missing
And while you were missing
It all went so fast

I had a dandelion
To give to you

Clocks going back
And you’ll go back too

Someday this house will sell
And we’ll be
Somebody
Else’s ghosts

But I’m not dead
And you can’t go yet

There’s too much trying
To say the right thing
When we don’t need to say
Nothing at all

There’s all this heartbreak
Around our backyard
But it’s not that hard
To let the leaves fall

I had a dream once
Then I woke up

But you’re still here
And I’m glad you showed up

No matter what I’ve done
I’ve done my share

Whether I get you for a minute
Or an hour
Or a year

It’ll all go like that
While I’m trying
To keep you
Here

I wrote you something
To hold you back

But that don’t mean
You gotta
Cut me some slack

Just let me hug you
And that’ll be that

I’ll wish that you’re here
Until you come back

Whenever that may be

So come back
And don’t go
And stay awhile
And don’t forget
To forget
To leave

And every time you try
I’ll say
You can’t
Go

Yet

No comments:

Post a Comment