Monday, September 2, 2019

Theodore Laments

I don’t know why people think
It doesn’t take a toll

I’m sure Alvin and Simon
Have their qualms as well

Simon often mentions
Getting contacts
So he can be the lead singer
But Alvin immediately shuts him down
And tells him that he has a purpose
Within the group
And the family
And that while Alvin isn’t considered smart
He’s made peace with that
And Simon should make peace
With not being all that dynamic

Nobody thinks about me
Or how I feel about my purpose
Which seems to be eating a lot
Crying
And wearing the color green

Alvin and Simon squabble
But as soon as I try to chime in
They walk away from each other
And I’m left yelling into thin air
Until Dave comes by
And gives me a pep talk

The problem is
At a certain age
There isn’t a pep talk
That’ll make you feel
Like more of a man
And less
Of a rodent

Dave’s had to find hundreds of ways
Over the years
Of saying exactly
The same thing

There’s nothing wrong with you, Theodore
You’re perfect just the way you are

But does anybody want to be Theodore
For Halloween?

No

Alvin reminds me
That nobody wants to be any of us
For Halloween
And that until we get a reboot off the ground
None of us are cool
As if I’m supposed to take solace in that

At least he knew what it was like
At least he had a taste of it
At least Simon appeals to those
Who have a thing
For dorks and middle children

But me?

I was always just Theodore

That’s why I won’t sign onto the reboot
Until I get some assurances

I want to take myself
In a new direction

I want to restructure my narrative

I want to be in the spotlight
For a change

Alvin balks and Simon is appalled
Even Dave seems somewhat
Disappointed in me

None of that bothers me

When you’ve been overlooked your whole life
Anger feels like attention
And any attention
Is more than welcome

The contact and a pen
Are put in front of me
And my two brothers
Stare at me
With what can only be described
As animosity

Still I won’t sign

What’s the purpose of a reboot, I ask,
If everything’s just going to be
The way it was?

They think it’s about nostalgia

That so many people liked it
The way it was
That we should update as little as possible
While still creating a modern aura
Around our vintage personas

In that vein, they suggest
That Theodore could try online dating
Or get a job in a cubicle
Or marry a woman
Who doesn’t love him

You’re a schlub, says Simon,
It’s your thing

I would expect that level of insensitivity
From Alvin
But Simon surprises me
With his callousness

Well, I say, This schlub ain’t signin’

And that means we stay trapped
In unmotivated animation

Which is just fine with me

I don’t like it
But I know where the lines are drawn
And which color goes where

I know how to be
The let-down I am
Within this Saturday morning monstrosity
That passes as an existence

I know what kind of chipmunk I am

And until I can be something better
I see no reason

To change the channel

No comments:

Post a Comment