Wednesday, September 11, 2019

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

I went back to field station
And let the passing trains
Cool me off
In the heat

Man gets off the train
Asks me for satisfaction

He looked like Keith
But, uh, he said his name
Was Mick
And I thought that
Was the funniest thing
I ever heard in my life

We went back to my place
Which at the time
Was one of those fun little country houses
That you think you only see
In fairy books

I had a garden
I had flowerpots
Under my windows

I had plump little pillows
With ‘Home Sweet Home’
Written on them

‘Show me around,’ Mick said,
And so I spun around in a circle
Because I was a real gas back then
I was--I was really something

Remember when you could be something
Just because you were young
And you didn’t care
Who went to bed with you?

I thought about putting on the Stones
So I went ahead and did it
Because why not?

Take two
And call me in the morning
You know?

That’s what I did
With Mick who looked like Keith

I took him
And then I worried about it
When I woke up
The next day

Not in the morning

I never got up in the morning
Back then

The record was still skipping
When I went downstairs
And found him
Stomach up
On my lawn
Giving all my neighbors a show

Luckily I only had one neighbor
And she was blind, so--

Poor thing
Couldn’t see
What she was missing

I went out
And laid on the lawn with him
Because I read about
Something like that once
In a story or something
Maybe something
In a waiting room
Even though I don’t much
Like waiting
To have somebody tell me
What I don’t have much left of

Have to be crazy
To wait around
To have somebody tell you
You’re running out of time

That’s how I see it

The old man who gave me
My little country house
Was always working in the city
And he had a thing
For women
He couldn’t save

Mick didn’t seem to like me
Because of that

He seemed to like me
Because I had forward-thinking
Proclivities

Told me I was some kind of
Future Space Girl
Or a star
Or a Star
Or something having to do
With the Moon

He wasn’t the first guy
To tell me
That I wasn’t
Of this earth
Or
Maybe
Not long for it
Anyway

We let the grass
Cool our backs
And the crickets
Were serenading us
Even in the middle
Of the day

And it’s the kind of summer
You know
You’re only going to get
For one
Two
Three more days
And then never again

But did I feel satisfied?

Hell yeah, I did

I felt just

Fine

No comments:

Post a Comment