Monday, September 16, 2019

Ten Seconds in the Dark

We were in the closet
For ten seconds
When the thump thump thump
Let us know
That outside
There was chaos

He took my hand
And counted out
Each of my fingers
One by one
Starting over each time
Before getting
To the thumb

The lights were off
But I could feel the breeze
Off a low-hanging bulb
Just two feet above us
And the musty dusty smell
Of old wool
And broken shoes
Tattered scarves
And someone’s rarely-worn fur

The thump thump thump
Moved around the room
I thought I knew
And I tried to picture it
As it thump-bumped around

My bed
The dresser
Those books I left
In a pile
On the floor

He scratched
At the underside
Of my fingernail
And tried
To control
His breathing

I told him we only had to make it
Ten seconds
With the lights off
And then all our fears would recede

The thump thump thump
Couldn’t find the closet door
Because it’s painted
The same color as the walls
And a few years ago
The knob was replaced
With a small indentation
Which, when pushed,
Would reveal a small entryway
Through which you could enter the closet

The elaborate means of entering
Meant that very little of what was in the closet
Ever came out of it

Really, the space was only good
For consuming oneself in darkness
And practicing how to kiss
With terrified boys
Who were useless
Even in the best of circumstances
But especially so
When there was an unknown entity
Careening around the bedroom
Presumably looking
For something to devour

Thump thump thump

I asked him to practice kissing with me
Because I didn’t feel like studying history
And when he agreed
I suggested the closet
Because when he gets nervous
Sweat pours down from one remarkable spot
Just above his hairline
And while I knew the sweat would eventually
Make its way down to my lips
I thought that if I didn’t see it
It wouldn’t bother me so much

Soooo into the closet we went

After a second
We heard the thump thump thump
And the screams of my nanny
Who, I suspect, was eaten first

But even the world-at-large
Has to agree upon
A certain set of rules
And everybody agrees on the rules
Of ten seconds in the dark
So I knew once that decade of a moment
Was passed
We’d be fine to go back out again

He disagreed with me
And buried himself deeper
Into the lost wardrobe
Most likely wishing for a fictional reprieve
Falling into snow
And discovering a centaur

I knew that the truth of monsters
Was that if you let them
Run around you room forever
Soon enough
They’d do so much damage
Your room would no longer resemble a room
And you’d have to move in with your twin brothers
Who both smell like fried salami

Out of the closet I crept
And sure enough
The thump thump thump
Scurried away at the sound of my approach
Leaving only some disarray
But nothing even a part-time maid couldn’t handle

I invited him to come out
And see
That there was nothing more
To be afraid of

A monster long gone
And a knocked-over pile of books

But he stayed where he was
Wherever that was
And I never saw him again

The indentation was boarded up
And the closet stayed dark

Darker than even I
Cared to explore

No comments:

Post a Comment