Friday, September 6, 2019

The Real Slim Shady

We were really into
Eminem
At the same time
The two of us

We, uh--

It’s funny
Because
Now
I guess
You would say--

Well, was it overcompensating
Or something?

Uh, and I don’t think
That was it

We were both, uh--

We didn’t dislike gay people
Obviously
Obviously I wasn’t--

Although
I guess
You could say--

Self-hating?

You could say that

Except I don’t think I was
I think--

I think I sort of knew about
This part of myself
And I just--

Uh

I just didn’t acknowledge it?

But I wouldn’t say
I really
Denied it
There was just--

You know, it was like--

It was like if I had a birthmark
I didn’t show people
But it’s somewhere on my body
Where you can’t see
Unless I’m--

It’s like--

Just because you don’t go around
Telling people about it
Doesn’t mean you’re ashamed of it

You just--

You just can’t see it

But, uh, I don’t think he--

I don’t think he had a problem
With gay people either
But, uh, we would talk about that
About how Eminem--

About how we didn’t think
He had a problem with them either
And that it was all--

That it was this big show
This big, like, way of reflecting
A type of person
That a kind of music attracts
And then sort of picking that person apart
Because, uh, I mean, Emimem
Was so subversive, and like--

So proud about it

It just seemed so clear to us
That he wouldn’t just be, you know
Sexist and homophobic
And put forth all this stuff
If there wasn’t a sort of--

No, I’m not really that
There’s another layer here

Like, if that wasn’t going on?

We went to his concert
And afterwards
When we were leaving
There was this charge, you know?

Like, more than just
The kind of energy you feel
After a concert

Like, this--

We were driving home
Blasting the music
We were just listening to live
And, uh, I don’t know how it happened, but--

He put his hand on my hand

He was driving and he reached over, and he--

He just put his hand there

And it was--

Nothing like that
Ever happened again
Between us
But, uh--

I keep thinking
One day
Maybe I’ll contact him

I keep saying
One day
That’s what I’m

Going to do

No comments:

Post a Comment