Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Gus and Tuesday's End

"So is this how you end every Tuesday?"
"There is absolutely nothing wrong about ending a Tuesday with pancakes at the airport."
"And tomorrow morning, I'm guessing this will all seem very surreal."
"Maybe."
"Pancakes, a red eye to L.A.--"
"A good-looking waitress."
"What kind of tip am I looking at here?"
"Do you know how much plane tickets to L.A. cost?"
"What's your name?"
"Gus."
"Gus, I have offered you wisdom and solace here at this airport food court, and I expect to be compensated for my work."
"And your name is--"
"Waitress."
"Waitress, I have a lovely fifty dollar bill with your name on it."
"Well, that's just foolish."
"Is it?"
"It is."
"Why do you say that?"
"I'm not a hustler, Gus.  I'm just here to serve you pancakes."
"And dish out wisdom and solace and--"
"Why are you going to L.A.?"
"I lost my job."
"And?"
"My job."
"And?"
"I told you--"
"And?"
"...and my wife."
"Lost how?"
"Divorce, not death."
"Really?"
"Well, she divorced me and then she died."
"Seriously?"
"Yes."
"That's--"
"It's the worst possible combo.  She left.  She died.  I couldn't even go to the funeral because I was still so pissed at her for leaving."
"How did she--"
"Just dropped dead.  One of those things."
"People don't just drop dead.  There's a reason."
"The body just...stops."
"That doesn't happen."
"Doesn't it?  Or do you just not want to believe it does, Miss Waitress?"
"Just Waitress."
"Sorry."
"So you're really messed up in the head right now.  I mean, when did all this happen?"
"A year ago."
"So it's not raw but--"
"Oh, believe me, it's plenty raw."
"Then why didn't you leave a year ago?"
"I wasn't sure where to go."
"So what made you decide on L.A.?"
"I didn't really, I just got sick of waiting for everything to figure itself out."
"So now you're figuring it out?"
"Now I'm figuring it out."
"You know I'm not sure it's good luck to start a new life on a Tuesday."
"Technically the new life starts Thursday when I start my new job as--"
"No, no, no.  Don't tell me.  I have no urge to learn more about you and risk finding out that you're a secret millionaire or something."
"Because then you'll get on the plane with me?"
"I'd get on the plane with you if you're a dentist.  Forget a millionaire."
"I'm a chef."
"Really?"
"Yeah, really."
"A good one?"
"Some days better than good."
"And you wanted pancakes for your last meal here at home?"
"You bet."
"And how were they?"
"They were okay.  The company was better."
"We don't get much traffic on a Tuesday."
"Even at an airport?"
"Most people head for the bar."
"Two years ago, I'd have done the same."
"Is that why your wife left?"
"Because I stopped?"
"No, because you--"
"She left because I stopped.  I stopped and she didn't."
"Oh."
"You were right.  People don't just drop dead.  Or maybe they do, but..."
"....So...L.A., huh?"
"L.A."
"What a Wednesday you're going to have."
"You want to know my dream?"
"Hit me."
"My dream is to live in a world without days.  Without, like, days of the week or holidays or numbered days or months.  Just days.  And nights.  One big day and night."
"No interest in telling time?"
"Not anymore, no.  Who can keep track?  I used to love it.  One day sober, two days, but then day forty-seven rolls around and--"
"How did you stay sober after she died?"
"Lots of cooking.  I used to stay up all night cooking.  Couldn't eat anything.  Bought lots of tupperware.  Some nights I was so tired all I could make were toast and pancakes."
"Funny what ends up meaning something, huh?"
"Almost anything can be funny.  And almost nothing really is."
"You sure you're not missing your plane?"
"Oh, I missed it an hour ago."
"Huh.  What are you going to do about that?"
"I figured I'd let you tell me, Waitress.  You with your wisdom and maple syrup."
"My name's Anna."
"Are you allowed to tell customers your name?"
"It doesn't matter."
"Why not?"
"Because I've been off the clock for an hour and a half."
"Tuesday just may be my new lucky day."
"It hasn't been Tuesday for two hours, Gus."
"Like I said--who can keep track?"

No comments:

Post a Comment