Friday, August 17, 2012

Nora's Second Thought

Torvald?

Torvald!

I'm back

I'm back, I'm--Well, I'm not back
It was the craziest thing

There I was
Outside
Just a moment ago
And--I don't know if you're aware of this, but--

It is FREEZING out there
I mean, it's really cold

Scandinavia at Christmas
Who knew?

Anyway, there I am
Outside the door
Feeling all proud of myself
When it occurs to me--

I'm a woman
It's 1879
And my only real skill is fainting
When somebody says something shocking

So I stood out there
For a second
Again, very cold
The sound of a slamming door
Still echoing in the night
And I thought to myself--

Nora, what exactly is your plan?

And--are you ready for this?
I realized...

...I don't have one!

Hahaha

I mean, I suppose I could become a chambermaid
Or a schoolteacher
Or a professional brooder
But the thought of actual work
Just sort of...ick, you know?

But, at the same time
I do want to honor my decision
To become a strong
Independent
Free-thinking
Individual
With a mind
And path
All my own

I was just wondering if--
While I'm doing that
--You'd mind paying for everything?

And of course
I'll do you the honor
Of staying married to you

I was being too hasty before
After all, we've had a good marriage
Does it have its ups and downs?
Of course it does

But what marriage hasn't weathered
Forgery, deception, condescension
And a complete breakdown
Of trust and communication?

The important things are that
We're rich
And we throw good parties

...Oh, and the children

Of course
The children

You know what?

I think I'll go upstairs
And kiss those little darlings goodnight

My darling little...uh...um...

The one with the brown hair
And the one with the hilarious speech impediment

Oh, how I've missed them
While I was outside
Contemplating
Becoming a prostitute

Darling, I'm so glad we're over this little...obstacle
And let's never speak of it again

Oh, and I forgive you
I'm not sure for what
But that's all right

If you think too hard
About those sorts of things
Life becomes far too
Dramatic

No comments:

Post a Comment