Wednesday, August 1, 2012

One For Me, One For You

Robbie's going to the racetrack again tonight
Can't stop him
Why bother
Makes him happy
So what, right?

What can you do about it?
Can't do nothin'

But sometimes
Sometimes
He gets on me
About my stuff

I say Robbie I don't say nothin' about nothin'
So don't go telling me
About my stuff

My stuff fits in the palm
Of the Lord's hand

The Lord can't even look
At your stuff

So let's keep everything right where it is
And see what we see
And what we see only
And the Lord sees all
So we're all being taken care of
That's what I like to believe

That we're all secure
So long as we tend
To ourselves

--And only ourselves

Can't save the world
I try tellin' Robbie that
When he gets to cryin'
About Bill

I say, 'Robbie, honey, Bill was set for the grave
Two seconds after I had him
And the fact that it took him thirty-four years
To get there
Is some kinda miracle'

I don't cry about Bill
Not where anybody can see me do it anyway

Why cry for somebody who's saved?
Who's been pulled from the water?

Do I miss my son?

I miss a lot of things

I can't go crying for everything
I miss

Robbie gets on me
About what I could have done for Bill

Robbie gets judgmental
And superior
Gets on his high horse
And rides all over my living room
Pointing at pictures
Saying 'Didn't I notice this?' and 'Didn't I notice that?'

If I say 'Yes, I noticed' then I'm neglectful
If I say, 'No, I didn't' I'm oblivious

Which is better?

Robbie goes to the track
And bets on his high horse
And says he's not like Bill
He's not going to wind up
Like Bill

Sure, sure, kid

Because death only knows one path, doesn't it?

I'm not afraid of death
And I'm not afraid of dying

I could have died two seconds after I was born
And I would have been just fine with it
Just like my Bill was

And if you said 'This drink is going to kill you'
Or this pill
Or this lie
Or this choice

I'd drink two of 'em
Take two of 'em
Lie twice
And choose to go again

Because that's just how I am
Some are for livin'
And some are for dyin'

And only the Lord gets to pick
Which one you are

Robbie says, 'But I need you.  But I need you here.  I already lost my brother.'
I say--'Robbie, honey, we're all going to lose everybody anyway.  We don't get to keep a thing, don't you understand that?  We don't get a damn thing in this world that'll stay with us forever.'

Men leave you
Kids leave you
Your possessions?--please

Nothing
You get nothing

So lose it all
And get it over with

Sometimes I tell him
'Robbie, when I go
If you want
You can come with me'

And it's true

I'd tell him--

'Just sit right down next to me, Robbie
And have that drink
Take that pill
Lie that lie
Just like you see me doing.'

We'll do one after another
Just like when the kids were kids
And they'd put their Halloween candy
Out on the table

We'd split it up
With me going
One for me, one for  you

One for me, one for you

We'll just play it again
Doling out the chances
To him and to me
Just like it was with Bill

One for me
One for you

Until there's nothing
Left

No comments:

Post a Comment