Monday, August 20, 2012

Thelma and Louise Nail the Landing

"Whoooooo..."
"That was--"
"God."
"Right?"
"Exhilarating."
"I'm...wow."
"Can you believe we--"
"I told you this car was sturdy."
"But I mean, we drove off a cliff."
"I know."
"Off--a cliff."
"Landed just like a cat--on all four wheels."
"I'm impressed."
"Damn right, you're impressed."
"Now what?"
"Huh?"
"Now what?  What are we going to do now?"
"Just keep driving."
"Until when?"
"Dammit, Thelma, why do you have to ask so many questions?"
"Louise, I'm just wonderin'--"
"Here we go."
"I'm just wonderin' what we're gonna do now.  We can't just keep drivin' forever.  Pretty soon they're gonna go down in that ravine and figure out that we didn't explode down there like they think we did."
"I know that, Thelma."
"So pretty soon we're going to have to either go to Mexico or Canada or Hawaii or something because otherwise they're just gonna track us down again!"
"Thelma, I don't know if you know this, but just a second ago, we experienced one of the most beautiful moments of sisterhood that two women can experience.  It is the closest I have ever come to feeling honest, true, desire for another woman and I have no explanation for that as I do not believe I have suddenly become a lesbian, but so help me, if you keep talking, I will push you out of this car, go find a man, and screw the piss out of him and then I'll take myself to Mexico and you can just fend for yourself, all right?"
"Jesus, Louise, I didn't--"
"You always have a problem, Thelma.  Always."
"And you're always sayin'--"
"You're the one who said 'Keep drivin.'  Keep going, whatever--you said it.  Not me.  I should have just--"
"Should have just what?  Left me to get arrested?  So I could get thrown in jail?  I wouldn't do well in jail, Louise.  I'm not like you."
"What does that mean?  You're not like me?"
"Like you said, you felt desire for me.  I think you may be a queer gay."
"First of all, that's redundant."
"What?"
"Oh, never mind.  The point is, I am not a lesbian.  I just felt very close to you for a second.  And yeah, maybe you would have gotten arrested, but we both could have wound up dead, and maybe that's not so bad for me, but it would be for you.  You got a lot of potential.  You could wind up being the first female President or something."
"Oh please, Louise.  Who would buy me as the President?"
"And what am I going to do for the rest of my life, huh?  Coach a baseball team?  Become a nun?  Be one of those nuts who goes to midnight movies and talks back to the screen?"
"Whatever we do, at least we'll be together."
"Thelma, we can't stay together."
"Why not?"
"It wouldn't make sense."
"Why wouldn't it?"
"Because they already caught us once when we were together.  If we split up, we can help our chances."
"Thelma, I'll get caught without you."
"Not if you get on a plane to Europe and never come back."
"Why can't you come with me?"
"I don't like Europe.  It's too soft for me.  You stay there long enough pretty soon you're just a big lump of cheese ready to be spread on crackers.  That won't happen to you."
"Because I'm tough?"
"No, you fool, because you're already soft.  It wouldn't make a difference to you.  Me?  I'd have to become a whole different person."
"So you're gonna--"
"Get some money and a fake passport together for you and then ship you off to Germany or France or someplace where looking pretty actually comes in handy.  You'll like it.  You can play the tourist for awhile."
"Accident."
"Huh?"
"Up on the road ahead."
"Oh."
"And what are you gonna do?"
"Open up a bar somewhere and change my name to Goldie Hawn."
"That sounds awful."
"Maybe I'll become an actress."
"Louise, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but you got the face of a steel mill worker.  Nobody in their right mind is gonna to put you on camera."
"Good thing you weren't looking to hurt my feelings.  I don't see you winning any Oscars."
"I just don't see why we can't stick together."
"Because we'd eat each other up, you and me.  That's what happens to people like us.  We turn into one big black hole that sucks everything up into it.  It's not healthy, Thelma.  You know in a few days I'm just going to start slappin' you around like everybody else in your life, and you don't need that.  And I don't need that.  We both fed off each other and that came in handy for awhile, but now we have to break this off before our luck runs out.  You don't think we can survive another cliff jump, do you?"
"..........."
"Do you?"
"No."
"Well, all right then."
"Well then."
"Would you have been all right if we'd died back there?"
"No, Thelma, I would not have been okay.  I'd have been dead."
"I mean, would that have bothered you?"
"Maybe not in the moment.  I mean, not in the actual moment it was happening, but looking back on it, yeah, it probably would have.  Dying is a stupid thing to do, especially for somebody who sort of drives you crazy and ain't even giving you sex to make it worth it."
"I'd have been okay dying for you."
"Well, that's because you don't have much to live for."
"Louise!"
"I'm joking with you.  I told you, you have potential.  Real potential."
"What good is it going to do me if you're not with me telling me how to use it?"
"Honey, I got you this far.  Next time, you're getting pushed out of this car."
"'Cause you don't want to be with me anymore?"
"No, because everybody needs a good push now and again."
"So you're happy we lived?  Seems a little too good to be true for me.  The two of us just getting away with it all.  Seems like it's too easy."
"There ain't nothin' easy about livin', Thelma.  An ending where the two girls die together looking pretty and holding hands?  That's easy.  Having to keep going?  That'd be tricky.  That'd be an ending I'd wanna know more about."

No comments:

Post a Comment