Friday, February 2, 2018

When You Run Away From Me

How far are you going to run
When you run away from me

You going to run to the city?
You going to fall off the map?

You going to leave me in the voicemails?
You going to dump me in the draft folder?

You know what I bet?

I bet you’re going to run off
With that blonde-haired kid
With the purple shirt
And the olive jacket

The one who doesn’t call you out
On your bullshit

And you’re going to live a happy life
With a puppy and a cat
And two big windows
Looking out on some lake or mountain

And he’s going to quietly resent you
While you do whatever the fuck you want
For the rest of your life

If I was a betting man
That’s what I’d bet

You liking that soda?
Soda’s better at my house

You ever seen my house?

It’s nice

I mean, it’s a dump
But it’s nice

--For a dump

I bet you’d like it though

You know

If I was gonna bet

You should come see it
Before you head
To whatever train station
You’re headed to

Yeah, maybe you’re not going there now
But you will

Eventually

You’re going to get on the fastest train
Away from me
You can find
And I don’t blame you

Because, you know, where the fuck am I going?

What do you gotta stick around here for?

To watch me
Drink all this soda?

No point in that

I don’t want to hold you back
I don’t want to—

I just like how pissed off
You get at me

I like how I can get
Under your skin
And then two days later
We’re back to normal
Like nothing even happened
Because we kind of love each other
But we kind of want to fucking kill each other
And it’s all peaches and gravy, you know?

You almost done with that soda?

You want to spend the rest of your life
Living like I said?

With somebody
Who doesn’t even have the balls
To call you a fucking asshole
And mean it?

‘Cause when I say it?

I mean it

And you think
That’s something bad
But the truth is

When somebody’s calling you an asshole
That’s closer to ‘I love you’
Then you'll ever get
With Mr. Purple Shirt

It’s closer to the truth of it
Anyway

It’s closer to what you really mean

I bet when you run away from me
You’re never going to get an ‘I love you’
As good as the one I give you
When I’m calling you out

I bet you’re never going to get anybody
Standing across the room from you
Grabbing at your eyes
With their eyes
Like you’re some kind of
Fucking lifeboat
While their ship's going down

I bet you’re not going to lay up
In someone’s bed
On a Sunday morning
Trying to figure out
How you can stay there
And never leave

Because you like being a lifeboat
More than you like being a yacht

But you know, that’s what I’d say
If I were to bet

And when it comes to you
There’s nothing
I’d bet on

Nothing in the world

No comments:

Post a Comment