Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Statistically

I’m just saying that
Statistically
I have more of a right
To be proud
Than you
About this


Okay?


I get that life
And stuff
Things
Are hard
For you
I get that


I see the one arm
I know what’s going on there

I understand that there aren’t a lot of
Uh, parts
For people with, uh
You know
One arm


But, like, along comes
This Broadway play
Where they’re looking for someone
With one arm

And, I mean, let’s be honest
There aren’t a ton of options there


So you just stroll in
Just so casual
About the whole thing
Because you know
You’ve got, like
Statistically
A way better shot
At getting that role
Than anybody else
Because, like, it’s a play


What are they going to do?


Green screen somebody
With two arms?


I don’t think so


It’s theater
So it needs to be, uh
Yeah, you know
Real


And there you are
With your one arm
Looking all smug


So yes, you’re in a Broadway play

Congratulations

Super happy for you

But also?

I’m in the play too
And I have both my arms
So...
I think we need to--okay?

I'm just pointing out
That I went into the audition
And there were like, and--


I’m not just saying this


There were a million other options
In terms of, like
The role I was up for

And I still got it

Over millions
Of other people
I got it


You got the role over
Maybe one other person
If there happened to be
Another one-armed girl
Who could act

But that seems
Highly unlikely

So I just think that
You know
Statistically
I have more of a right
To be proud
Than you do


And when I heard you say
That we should all be proud
There was a part of me that--

This is honesty talking now
So just don't get--but--

There was a part of me
That was like--


No


No, we should not all be proud

We can all be happy

Sure
Of course
I would never tell you that you can’t be--


Because I’m sure
You’ve had a harder life than me

...Depending on what your definition of hard is

Like I had overbite as a kid
And you have one arm
And so there are levels of, like, hard


But yeah, be happy

You’re on Broadway
I’m on Broadway
Let’s all be happy


But as far as proud goes--

I think we need to look at
You know
The statistics


Because statistically speaking
I just have way more reasons
To be proud than you do
About this
Particular
Thing


I earned my pride, okay?
I earned it
You just lost an arm
Or, like, weren't born with one
Whatever

That was it


It’s like when, like, survivors
Of some tragedy
Like a shipwreck or something
Get called ‘heroes’


Like, they’re not heroes
They just didn’t die

That doesn’t make them heroes
You know?

And that’s like you


You’ve got one arm
And you’re an actor
In a show
Playing a character
With one arm


You’re lucky
You’re not a hero

And you should be happy
About that


But not proud


No


Pride?


Pride is for me
For people like me

People
Who really
Earned it

No comments:

Post a Comment