Tuesday, February 13, 2018

Southern Discourse

The boy came around here
Looking for
Southern discourse


What were we supposed to do?


Boy goes to a place
Where he don’t know nobody
And doesn’t know nothing
And starts dancing


Dancing


Did he tell you
He was dancing?

Well, he was


And so people had opinions about that
And last time I checked
You can have opinions


You’re born with ‘em, right?


So he came up in here
Dancing
Acting some kinda way
And, ha, shit happens


That’s just how that goes down


Now, you came to get him
And I think that’s cute

Probably had to come a long way
To get your boy, huh?


I don’t suspect I know
Where Alabama is
But I sure as shit know
It’s nowhere near France


But here we are
In France


Now you didn’t come here thinking
Your ass was going to wave a flag
And salute it
And make all of us
Kiss the dirt on you
Now was you?


Pardon the pronunciation
We just thought
We’d make you boys feel better
By taking on a little twang


Carry on with a bit of
Southern discourse


The man only asked him
To get down off the bar
And wouldn’t you know
Your boy
Didn’t like that very much
And he took a bottle
And cracked it right on that man’s face
Lucky he ain’t blind


Well--he might be
He might be blind


But whether he is or not
It doesn’t really matter
Because we have no intention
Of letting you
Or any of the other six guys you brought with you
Take that boy home
To good old Alabama with you


See, if he wants to act a fool
Back in the shithole
Where y’all come from
That’s his right, I suppose
But he ain’t gonna act that way here


Now ain’t it 1902?


We don’t stand for that kinda thing
And you posturing
And puffing out your chest
Well, that ain’t scarin’ nobody
And you keep it up
You’re going to find yourself
All puffed out
I can promise you that


Now why don’t you sit down
And have a drink


You’re going to need some liquid courage in you
When you have to call and tell that boy’s mama
That you’re coming home empty-handed
And I can assure you
You are


You’re giving me that eye
Like you think
Being American is going to get you somewhere
And all it’s going to get you
Is a world full of trouble, my friend


So have that drink
And make that call
Then be on your merry
Fucking
Way


Because there ain’t going to be
No rescue attempt today


There ain’t going to be
No grand American escape grand


You’re just gonna get back
On all your horses
And ride hom
To all your ugly wives


Is that clear to you?
Am I speaking
Clearly enough


Because if not
I got a six guys of my own
Who’d love to try
And sixteen more after that
And another thirty after that
And--


Well, you get the picture
Don’t you?


You know, between my love of
Southern discourse
And this accent--


I had a feeling
We’d understand

Each other

No comments:

Post a Comment