Sunday, February 4, 2018

The Fan

I’m going to tell you a secret
About your sister


She doesn’t really like football


Don’t say I told you that
Because it’s important to her
That she thinks
She likes football
But trust me--


She doesn’t


She’s lonely, you know


She’s always been lonely
That’s just how she is


And what's worse is
She never knew
What to do about it


She would I call her at home
On Friday nights
On Saturday nights
Every night

I would call her
And she’d always be home

On her couch, I guess
Or, you know, wherever
And I would tell her to do something
To get out and do something

And--


And that’s how it used to be
Until your aunt dragged her
To that football game last year

And then--


Wow


She’s got friends
She’s got a community
She’s got a place to go
And things to look forward to


She’s a fan


And there’s no rule, you know
There’s no rule that says
You have to be a fan of something
From the time you’re born


And there’s nothing that says
You can’t just enjoy something
Because it adds to your life
In a way nothing else will
Even if maybe you don't really like that thing
As much as you think you do


There’s nothing that says
If something gets you out of the house
And gives you an excuse
To be around people
Instead of sitting on a couch
Staring at a tv show
You’ve watched a thousand times
Then I say Good


I say Great
I say That’s great


And I’m happy for her
And you should be too


Don’t make people feel shitty
When they finally find something
That makes them happy


Because chances are
It won’t make them happy forever


I mean, maybe it will
I hope it will


But if it doesn’t
You don’t want to be the one
Who ruined it for them
While they were still enjoying it


Your sister was lonely
And now she’s not


She has friends now
She has people who smile
When they see her


She has something to cheer for
And something to get invested in
And something to get upset about
Really upset
And not just that stupid malaise you get
When you don’t even care enough about anything
To get really upset


But upset like--

Like you wanna murder somebody upset


And that’s--


You know, that’s life

That’s real life

Wanting to murder somebody?

That’s how you know
You’re alive


And as nice as it is
To be someone like you
Who stands there
All by yourself
And just shouts about
This or that
Or whatever it is
You feel passionate about
And doesn’t, you know
Care what anybody else
Has to say about it
And doesn't get lonely
Even if they're by themselves
Every single night
For the rest of their lives
Because they're so confident
And so sure of themselves--


Not everybody can do that


Some people, you know
They need a crowd


They need a crowd
And an arena
And--and--


A team


And she’s got that now
And I’m glad


I’m glad she’s finally got something
To cheer for

No comments:

Post a Comment