Monday, February 19, 2018

A Junkie

I mean, I’m not going to win
Any awards for this


Not this year


This year, that girl
Who played the nurse
In the wheelchair
Is going to win


And I saw the movie
And she’s great
So I’m fine with it


I’m fine with it


To be upfront with you
To be honest
To get really real with you about it?

I was just really excited
To play a junkie


I mean, I’ve never played one before
And, you know, it’s a rite of passage
For an actress
I think
To
You know
Do that
So I was pretty--


Yeah, I was pretty excited


And I studied a little bit

I watched some movies
I went to this clinic
And kind of hung out
Until somebody asked me to leave

And that was fine
I had a feeling
That would happen
So it was fine


The junkies there
Were really nice
And I got some good stuff to, uh
You know
Work with


Things I could bring to the table


I felt like--


I don’t know if I should be saying this
But this is, you know
I want to be truthful
About this, so--


Regarding how this process went


So I’ll just say it


I didn’t think we took the performance
Far enough


In terms of like--

You don’t have a single scene
Where I’m slapping my son
Where I'm stealing anything to pay for my drugs
Where I’m getting violent with anybody
Like, not at all
No violence
Which I thought--

I was just disappointed about that


The physicality wasn't--

I was ready to go there
To really explore it
And the director just didn't--

You know, they wouldn't let me wear fake teeth
Like, really bad teeth
Or let my hair go all scraggly
I barely scratch myself
And I tried--


I really tried to insert all that--


That whole itchiness thing
That junkies have
In all the movies
And the director told me to stop
And I, okay so--


I respect this director
But I didn’t respect
That particular
Decision


I also didn’t like
That I wasn’t allowed to show the character
Prostituting herself, you know?


Because I thought that was real
I thought that was sort of--


The reality of what
The situation would be


And I think--


You know, it’s a crapshoot
Awards and whatever
But I think if we had showed that
And showed me getting violent
And showed me really deteriorating

You would have seen my performance
Getting a lot more, uh, accolades or whatever
And that would have been better for the movie overall
So I’m a little, you know, not bitter, but something about it


I’m something about it


There were no ratty wardrobe choices
There were no shots of me actually, you know
Shooting up
Doing the drugs

I mean, they left that all off-screen
And they implied it
Don't get me wrong
They obviously implied it

But film is so visual
It’s a visual medium
So to not show something is like--


It’s like it’s not even there, you know?


I mean, there might have been people
Who didn’t even realize
That I was playing a junkie

And those people would be dumb
But movies are for everybody, right? Even dumb people

Maybe they thought my character
Was just out of her mind or something


And that would be okay
Because, you know, playing someone
Mentally ill
Can get you attention as well

But when you’re not specific
About what you’re doing
I just think you’re hurting
The thing--the film--itself


You know?


But it was great
It was a great project
And I’m glad I did it


I just think
If we’re talking about
What I brought to it

What I contributed--

To the conversation
About junkies
About, you know
Being a junkie
I think--


I just don’t think
I added anything to that
To that overall
Uh
Conversation


I just think
It was pretty much
What you’d expect
And that’s--


I mean, that’s not going to get you
Anywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment