Friday, February 16, 2018

A Toast to Shanghai

It would take
A staggering amount
Of elaborate courage
To get me back home tonight

D accuses me
‘Of letting it get late’
Like I have some control over time

Like I can help
Whether it stays early
Or gets late

D says on my way home
I forget to pick things up

Cherry soda
Diapers
Dishwashing soap

I don’t forget
I just get nervous
When I pull in front of the drugstore
And there’s nobody else
In the parking lot
But me

So instead I pull away
And tell D
I’ll pick all that up
Tomorrow

Sometimes after work
The partners
Take me to this Asian place
That’s had the same décor
Since the late 80’s

Bright, bright red
And deep black
And lighting so dim
You can pinch or be pinched
And still show your face at work
Monday morning

The partners ask
About my aspirations
And I tell them
I see myself
At the Chicago office
In three-to-five years

But the face they make
When I say that
Tells me
They’re not thinking of Chicago

My suspicions are confirmed
When they start mentioning Shanghai
And pretty soon
A deal is being drawn up

Just words, but big words

...Then some numbers

And before I know what I’ve done
We’re shaking hands
And toasting to Shanghai
And D never even got a phone call

On the way home
I park in front of the drugstore
For no reason at all

D got the cherry soda and diapers this morning
Before I even got up

And we found extra dishwashing soap
At the back of the cupboard
Under the sink

The drugstore is open twenty-four hours
And I suddenly realize I feel like candy
So I hustle up my elaborate courage
And get out of the car

Inside, there’s music that sounds like
It was written not just for elevators
But inside of one

I head to the greeting card aisle
So I can look for one that says—

‘Sorry, we’re moving to Shanghai’

But all I can find is—

‘Sorry’

And then a space
Where you can fill in the rest

The space doesn’t seem big enough

Or maybe if you can’t fit what you did wrong
In that little box
You’re supposed to get the person
Something bigger than a card

I grab the card anyway
And a six-pack of seltzer

A bag of pita chips
And a few bags of candy
On sale
Because Halloween
Was a few days ago

Back in the car
I feel like I can breathe again
And I didn’t even realize
I was holding it in

I start the car
Put some music on
Something that wasn't made in an elevator
Something with drums
And drugs
And lyrics that tickle
The back of your neck

D will be mad
D will be so mad
D might leave me

There's nothing here to be excited about
But there's nothing about Shanghai
To look forward to

Another job in another city
Another office with windows
Looking out on cities gone unexplored

I'll stand there
At those windows
Every Friday night
Looking down

Orange-red dots of light in pairs
Making their way
To wherever they're going

Maybe home
Maybe not home

Maybe somewhere else
Altogether

No comments:

Post a Comment