Wednesday, February 14, 2018

A T-Shirt Religion

I subscribe
To a t-shirt religion


I live in smalls
And extra smalls
And mediums
That look too large


I live for my dreams
And for the moment
And in the moment
And beyond the stars
And next to the moon

I’m a parachute
In a clear sky
Surviving...

Whatever it is
People survive

Before they put on a t-shirt
Telling the world
That they’re still here

That they beat it
Whatever it is
Or could be


My font is large
And elaborate
And cursive
And block
And big
And bold
And it begs you
To pay attention
To me


I have shirts with cats with sunglasses
I have shirts with pigs drinking coffee
I have donuts in donuts in donuts

A Hall of Mirrors
Made up of frosting
And dough


I have old women swearing
And babies holding hands


I have crocodiles on skateboards
And charities I’ve donated to
And charities I’ve never donated to


I have attire from exes
That work on either sex
And my arms look better
In the ones
That my former lover
Doesn’t know I stole


I have two-dollar plain blue tees
That I wear all the time
And hundred dollar designer blue tees
That sit at the bottom of a drawer
Because I’m too scared to try them on


I bought them
When I wanted to think
I was somebody


Somebody who could afford
To spend all that money
On something so simple
You could replicate it
For less than a buck


I got the two-dollar tee
The day my rent was four months past due
And my creditors were calling
And the only thing I had to eat
Was a box of elbow macaroni
And a half-empty jar of mayo


Or maybe it was half-full
I don’t remember


I have tees that I take to church with me


Church is a retail store
That I go to on Sundays
So I can try on all the smalls
And the extra-smalls
And sometimes the mediums
If I want to feel like
Somebody has their arms around me


Then I walk the streets
In a new tee
That I can’t afford
With my backpack on one shoulder
And an iced tea in my hand


And I feel the way
People do
After they’ve given
Something up
To whatever
god
They believe in


Hopeful and harmonious
Ready to let the sad stuff happen
Because no stain is irremovable
Unless its red wine
And you let it sit for awhile


Halfway above my head
There’s a storm cloud
But because my t-shirt
Only cost me five bucks
I stand and wait
For it to rain


But all that happens is thunder
And a few drops
Of air


I stand
And I wait
And I stand
And change falls out of my pocket


Birds land
On my shoulder


Somewhere a party begins
And a secret is revealed
And just when I think
There’s nothing left to wait for


The rain comes down
And the shirt
Gets a little bit
Smaller

No comments:

Post a Comment