Friday, February 9, 2018

A Practicing Gentleman

You're a practicing gentleman
Aren't you?

Very polite
I can tell

Holding doors
Reserving opinions

It’s refreshing

It’s a shame you’re not a doctor though

I hear the girl
Four doors down
Was in great need of a doctor

They sent her to Wilshire
And when she came back

Well...

She’s been in bed ever since

Terrible headaches
Poor thing

How do you suppose she became ill?
A young, healthy girl like that

I can’t imagine
I can’t even begin to

So many strange mysteries these days
So many questions
So many things weighing on the mind

I don’t suppose
It’ll come as any great surprise to you
That you’re being talked of
As the man
Who may have gotten that young girl
Into trouble?

I'm sure you hear the same things
Everybody else hears

Now

You and I both know
It's not true
But a great number of people nowadays
Still think a man such as yourself
Has the ability
Or the interest
To go around
Terrorizing young ladies
So they have to be sent away
For months on end

The girl won’t talk
But if she does
She’s certainly not going to speak the name
Of the man
Who’s truly at fault

I suspect she still loves him
Based on the way her mother’s been talking

I go over and visit
Every so often

Her mother and father trust me
Because of my standing in the community
But also because they know who I am
And what I am
And while it may…unsettle them

At a time like this
I think it brings them great comfort
Knowing of my—

Disposition

And they certainly don’t believe
That I had anything to do with
What happened
And so…

It got me thinking

Of course there’s no way
To make any kind of
Announcement
About the sort of man
You are

But there are ways to…

Indicate it

Perhaps if you went for a visit with me
To the young girl’s home
And I introduced you
As one of my friends

Then her mother and father would tell everyone
About our friendship
And soon all that nasty gossip
Would come to an end

Of course
For me to do that
We’d have to become friends first
Don’t you think?

I wouldn’t want to lie
To such wonderful people
Who’ve already suffered
Such a great misfortune

But I don’t suppose
You’d mind
Being my friend

...Would you?

Not if the other side of the coin
Was an extended stay in prison

I’m sure I’m not as lovely
As some of those other men
You carouse with
At the club on Browne and Fairfax

But people do trust me, you know

I can't imagine why
But it's true

They trust me a great deal

And I’m sure you and I could
Work something out

Two practicing gentlemen
With similar interests

People like you and I
We have to stick together

Don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment