Monday, July 1, 2019

Bibles You're Not Meant to See

The woman who checked
Into the motel
Told me her name was Eve
And the man she’s with
Is not her husband


I can assume those sorts of things
Most of the time
But this time--


Strange to have it
Come right out
And told to you like that


I put them in 2C
And went back to reading
My Bible


And by ‘My Bible’
I mean People magazine
Because that’s the only spirituality
I’m interested in


I came up from--


Well, I’m from Tennessee
Thank you very much
And my father bought this place
This motel
When I was thirteen
And moved us up here
After my mother died


She was crossing the street
And a car hit her and kept going
Isn’t that crazy?


My father sold fridges
But he never sold them after that
Just found this motel
However he found it
And that was that


We were in the motel business
After that


Not that there’s much
Business going on


I found the peepholes
After he died
But I knew he was the one
To put ‘em in
Because, uh--


Some of his things
Were there


Back in the hallways
Behind the rooms


A Bible--a real one
And some…


And other things


Only reason I found it
Is because I was going to sell the place
And I realized--


I was only nineteen at the time
But still
I’d been living here
Behind the office
With my father
For all those years
And there were parts of the place
I knew nothing about


Rooms I’d never been in


Did a little exploring
And that’s when I found
The hallway that starts
Right behind 2C


Views into all those rooms
And I just had myself a good chuckle


And, uh, as you can see
I did not sell the motel


Not that I spy on them
Not all of them


Eve’s the first one
I’ve sat down
And watched in awhile
Quite awhile


Maybe it’s because
She looks like my mother


Don’t take that like it sounds
It’s just a--


We don’t have--


I don’t have pictures of her
My mother
So I thought I’d forgotten how she looked
Altogether
But when Eve walked in with her married friend
I just about fell off my chair


You’ve probably already surmised
That I don’t have any interest--


Oh maybe you think I’m a pervert
But no, I might be, but not for this, uh--


I don’t have an interest
In watching a young woman
Who looks like my dead mother
Carrying on


I waited until I figured
They were both asleep
And then I…


I sat there with the Bible
Tearing pages out
And crying


Haven’t had a good cry
In years


My father found religion
Shortly before he died
Then he found another one
Then another one


Sooner or later
He made his way back around
To the old tried-and-true


But in the meantime
He had every kind of god
You can think up
And some I think
He made up himself


He’d tell me about every one of them
And try to get me to pray with him
To whoever it was
He believed in that week


When I finally gave him
What I thought he was looking for
What he was really looking for
He stared me down
With the kind of resentment you can only hold
For someone who truly loves you
And has to do something god-fucking-awful to you
As a result


But he understood


And he was holding that Bible
Tight as can be


Never asked
To hold my hand or…


Never asked me
For anything


Now I find Bibles all over the place
And in a little drawer
By the front desk
I keep my People magazine
And that’s, uh, that’s good enough for me
And my needs


I was watching Eve sleep
Ripping
Ripping
Ripping out pages
So fast
And not sure why


I knew why I was crying though


Because everything you think you forgot
Reminds you it’s still there
No matter how many--


He ripped up
All her pictures
That’s…


That’s why we don’t have them


And all these years later
Here she comes


With a man that looks
Nothing like my father


With a man who belongs
To somebody else


She had the smirk
Of a god
I tried to believe in
And couldn’t


That’s how she was
Eve
And maybe my mother
My mother was--


She stepped out
Into that street, you know


Right in front of that car
And smirking
The whole fucking time


People are so bad sometimes, you know?


You can never…


You can never believe
All the ways
They’ll surprise you
With just how bad

They are

No comments:

Post a Comment