Monday, July 29, 2019

Wickenden

While she’s at the mall
We’re going to get ourselves
Moved into the new place
On Wickenden

We’re going to pretend
We’re college kids
Coming to town
For the first time

It’s going to be like
Moving across the country
And it’s just three miles away

But see, back in the day
Three miles
And you were gone

You were disappeared
And nobody could find you
And nobody wanted to

Good luck to you
And your life
On the other side of town

My cousin came into some money
After an accident
At the soda factory
And he moved to the East Side
You would’ve thought
He was dead in the ground
The way we talked about him after that

Used to be harder
To get across the world

And the state of Rhode Island
Was no different

People talk about
Going to the beach

The beach?

You know what we had to do
To get ourselves to the beach?

To South County?

You think our parents
Were taking us down there
Every weekend?

Nobody bothered

Shouldn’t have been that hard

Money wasn’t everywhere
But it wasn’t that tight either

We could’ve afforded some gas
And a couple of towels
Made some sandwiches

But we just didn’t do that
I don’t know why

And living on the East Side
Wasn’t even a thought
In our heads

But one weekend
Me and my other cousin
We got bored and walked
All the way through downtown
All the way up College Hill
Just walked around
Looking at the houses
Couldn’t believe it

Like we couldn’t believe
It had been there
The whole time

I thought when we got back
We were going to get
Our asses handed to us
But for some reason
I just fessed up
And told my mother
Where we’d been
And wouldn’t you know
She wanted to hear all about it

And then she whooped our asses

I started looking for apartments
Awhile back
When I finally had some finances in order
And I couldn’t believe
I found a place
Cheap as it was

Not cheap cheap
But cheaper
Than I thought it’d be

And now they tell me
This neighborhood is turning around
Wouldn’t you figure that?

Soon as we all leave
The rich people are going to roll in
And make this
The nice part of town
And we’ll be in their old haunts
Right back where we started

That’s the way the world works, you know
That’s just how it is

But while Wickenden is still
The nicer part of town
I’m going to move me
And my kid into a little apartment there

She’s with her friend at the mall now
Not even knowing
That when she comes back
Her whole life is going to be different

Three miles
And nothing’s ever
Going to be the same

It’s like I heard once
On tv--

A little geography

Goes a long way

No comments:

Post a Comment