Saturday, July 27, 2019

Providence Place

He just left
And now everybody’s
All bent out of shape about it

So my dad’s like
Go somewhere

And I’m like--

You mean leave?
You mean like he left?
Like--get lost?

And he was like--

No, just give me some space
I need space right now

My dad was telling me
He needed space

Things are fucking nuts
Right now

But it’s fine
I don’t need a reason
To, like, go to the mall

Malls are the most social interaction
I can handle
Without medication

I mean, it’s depressing
Being here
Being at a mall
A mall, it’s like
The last hold-out
Of--you know, capitalism
Being this sort of--
Social thing

Now you can spend money
And drive yourself into debt
And not even really
Have to think about it

I think my family’s like that

They identify themselves
Based on who they would have been
Had they, like, been alive
In another time or something

Instead of who they are now
And, like, the time they’re living in

It’s just an insane amount
Of denial
But actually
I think that’s what’s most prevalent now
You know?

Denial

Oh my god
There’s so much denial

Like, from everyone

And I don’t really know
What you do about that

I mean, Jesus
My dad’s best friend
Like, lifelong friend
Just got on a bus
And took off
Because he actually thinks
It’s better
Somewhere else

When really
Providence is
And always has been
Like, this microcosm
Of the country as a hold
If you know anything about, like,
The history of the state
As it relates to the whole country

Except we still have a mall
When malls everywhere else are--

And I knew something was up
When I told my dad I was coming here
Because he hates when I come here
And he acts like he thinks I’m going to get jumped
When really he just sees this place
As a marker between, like, his youth
And the rest of his life
Because they opened this place
The year he turned eighteen
And so it’s this thing
That marks him becoming an adult
Which was, like, the worst thing
That’s ever happened to him

I guess it’s probably
The worst thing
That’s ever happened to anybody
Unless you had, like, a really traumatic childhood

Did I tell you
I wind up at this mall
Every year
On the 4th of July?

No clue how
But every July 4th
Here I am
And it is so creepy
And just, like, sad
But--

I don’t know why

I don’t know
What’s sad about it

I wish I did

But sometimes
I wonder
If it’s just a reflection of me

Because I’m sad

Because when you surround me
With people
I just become, like, very aware
Of how sad I am
Or seem
Or, you know,
Like
Compared to everyone else

Unless they’re just hiding
How sad they are

You can’t tell though

But you have to think that, like,
Everyone’s probably sad right now, right?

I mean--

You’d have to be crazy
Not to be really
Really
Fucking

Sad

No comments:

Post a Comment