Tuesday, April 13, 2021

My Pharmacist

My pharmacist

Has been a life-saver lately

And not in the usual ways


I worry he thinks

I have some sort of problem

Because I’m constantly going in

Making conversation


That’s why I’m consulting you

Because I’d love to ask him
Out for a drink

But I’m not sure

If that’s a conflict of interest


Why yes, I understand

That you’re a mailman

But you’re my mailman

And so I need to know

If you’d have a problem

With me asking you out


Granted, I have no intention

Of asking you out

But were I to do so

Would you mind?


I’m trying to gauge

How everyone in my life feels

About the possibility

Of romance with me


Never would I have dreamt

That one day

Entering a Walgreens

Would make my heart flutter

But, you know, when you get to be my age

You learn to leave room for love

Wherever it feels most comfortable


I remember when I met my husband

He was pumping gas

At this station I used to go to

Because everybody else

Had switched to self-service

Which I found abominable


He asked if I wanted regular

Or unleaded

And the next thing I knew

He was Husband #8


People are always looking

For the love of their life

And I’m looking for the love

That life presents me

In the moment


How am I supposed to know

If I’m going to love you

In twenty years?


And why should I care?


I think it’s kind of fun

Not knowing how the movie

Is going to end


And if it ends

A little sooner than I expected

That just means

I can have an extra cocktail
At the bar


And speaking of cocktails

I bet my pharmacist

Can make a mean one


Anyone who can put together

A proper prescription

And do it with a smile

Must be able to make

A mean little drink

Wouldn’t you say?


My plan is to take him on my boat

With his lab coat on

And ask him which one of my doctors

Has the worst handwriting


I love a man with discernment

And you need that

When you’re in love

With someone like me


I’m constantly in need

Of discerning


Perhaps I’ll write him

A lovely note

With calligraphy

Supplied by my gardener

Who has the most gorgeous

Penmanship


I think involving as many people

As possible

In your love story

Is the only way

To ensure peak swoonage


Yes, I’ll take that package from you

But I refuse to sign for it

Until you give me

Your uncensored opinion

On the matter


What?


You did want me

To start an affair with you?


My god, sometimes

I don’t realize my own power


Well, I suppose the pharmacist can wait


Love the one you’re with
As I always say


And I do so love the mail


I just love a man

You can count on

No matter what

No comments:

Post a Comment