Thursday, April 15, 2021

You Really Have to Know Grendel

      (ARNE and FRODE are feasting in the banquet hall.)

ARNE:  You're always defending him.

FRODE:  Saying somebody has been through a lot is not the same thing as defending them.

ARNE:  What does it matter what he's been through? He's a monster.

FRODE:  I'm not comfortable with you throwing that word around.

ARNE:  Do you not see what he did to this banquet hall?

FRODE:  It needed redecorating anyway--and a good scrub. The place smelled awful.

ARNE:  I better not find out you've been hanging out with him.

FRODE:  I'll spend time with who I like, Arne. You're not the boss of me.

ARNE:  I'll report you to the king.

FRODE:  You wouldn't dare.

ARNE:  See if I don't.

FRODE:  You have no compassion. That's your trouble.

ARNE:  Your trouble is you're a softie.

FRODE:  I like to understand people's motivations. That's all.

ARNE:  His motivation is he's hungry and wants to eat the lot of us.

FRODE:  Did you see anyone being eaten?

ARNE:  He ate Sven's arm!

FRODE:  An arm is not a whole person. That was just to prove a point.

ARNE:  Sven is missing an arm!

FRODE:  When did Sven ever use that arm?

ARNE:  All you do is make excuses.

FRODE:  If you knew Grendel's mother, you'd understand where he was coming from.

ARNE:  We've all had rotten mothers, Frode.

FRODE:  Are you saying my mother is rotten?

ARNE:  No, your mother is lovely.

FRODE:  I was going to say.

ARNE:  She's better than my own mother.

FRODE:  Your mother isn't so bad, Arne.

ARNE:  She's not bad, but she's not good.

FRODE:  No, I can't say she's good, but she's not bad.

ARNE:  She just isn't tender the way a mother should be, you know?

FRODE:  And it's the same for Grendel.

ARNE:  She didn't read him stories when he was a little goblin?

FRODE:  She didn't.

ARNE:  Did she hold him on cold nights so he could feel the warmth of her affection?

FRODE:  She didn't do any such thing.

ARNE:  And did she look at him everyday and say 'You are my most prized possession?'

FRODE:  He was lucky if she ever even glanced at him.

ARNE:  Well, I'll tell you--THAT'S STILL NO EXCUSE!

FRODE:  You're an unfeeling man. That's what you are.

ARNE:  I feel many things! I feel a pain in my shoulder where that thing threw a table at me.

FRODE:  He was throwing a table at the wall. You just happened to be standing in front of the wall.

ARNE:  He took off Gorzo's head!

FORDE:  Gorzo had the worst breath.

ARNE:  What does that have to do with his head?

FORDE:  Well, where does his breath come from?

ARNE:  You must own up to what happened!

FORDE:  But I did nothing!

ARNE:  But you're defending the thing that did the thing.

FORDE:  I find it better to look at from all sides.

ARNE:  So you can see my side then?

FORDE:  Yes, I can see your side.

ARNE:  And will you be arguing with Grendel about what it's done from my side of things?

FORDE:  I...Well.

ARNE:  Ahhhhh.

FORDE:  Grendel doesn't listen to me when I bring complaints to his lair.

ARNE:  So you've decided to spend all your time harassing me instead?

FORDE:  The alternative would be to say nothing, and you know, I don't believe in that.

ARNE:  I know that about you.

FORDE:  My mother told me to always speak up when something is wrong.

ARNE:  And what do you see as being wrong?

FORDE:  It's all wrong. Grendel, you all, Gorzo--

ARNE:  GORZO HAS NO HEAD!

FORDE:  But when he had a head, he was a lot of trouble.

ARNE:  I'm going to do my eating alongside someone else moving forward, Forde.

FORDE:  I see.

ARNE:  I think it'll be for the best.

FORDE:  Well then, it's a shame, isn't it?

ARNE:  What is?

FORDE:  Seeing how we're all so polarized these days.

ARNE:  That is a way of looking at it.

FORDE:  Just wish we could all learn not to make such a big deal out of the little things.

ARNE:  Like murder and decapitation.

FORDE:  Well...Among other things.

ARNE:  Ahh.

FORDE:  It's really all in how you look at it.

     End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment