Thursday, June 10, 2021

Diane Keaton's Fashion Coordinator

 





     (PAT and NIC are looking over outfits in a studio.)

PAT:  No, she won't wear that. It has short sleeves. She likes her sleeves to be as long as possible. If they hit the floor, it's a 'Yes.' Otherwise, keep looking.

NIC:  What about the red one we saw?

PAT:  Can you wear it with a beret?

NIC:  I don't know. I didn't try pairing it with a beret.

PAT:  You need to pair everything you select with a beret.

NIC:  Couldn't she just...not wear a beret?

PAT:  Never say that again.

NIC:  Sorry.

PAT:  What's that blazer covered in popcorn?

NIC:  Oh. That was an accident. I just spilled popcorn on the--

PAT:  That'll work. Let's show her that one.

NIC:  So should I glue the popcorn on the--

PAT:  I'm not interested in how you execute the look. Neither is Diane.

NIC:  Have you ever seen her Oscar?

PAT:  She sold it to Amy Adams, so no.

NIC:  Oh wow. So she's doesn't--

PAT:  I need a pair of pants that screams 'I don't believe in an Afterlife.'

NIC:  She doesn't?

PAT:  No, she does, but Diane likes her wardrobe to decry religion.

NIC:  Do you do her costumes for movies as well?

PAT:  No, movies have their own costume designers.

NIC:  Right. Of course.

PAT:  But they don't design for her. She has a pair of twins do it.

NIC:  Who are these twins?

PAT:  I've never met them. They live underground. But apparently, they're visionaries. I could never dream of being worthy of designing something for Diane to wear on film.

NIC:  Being her stylist is still--

PAT:  I'm not a stylist. I'm a fashion coordinator.

NIC:  Right, sorry.

PAT:  I coordinate Ms. Keaton's fashion.

NIC:  Yes.

PAT:  Do you have anything that looks like furniture?

NIC:  I have a bureau dress.

PAT:  I like the sound of that.

NIC:  I also have a pair of shoes with little cupboards on them.

PAT:  No, Diane hates cupboards.  She doesn't like things you put other things in. Drawers, cupboards, boxes--

NIC:  How does she feel about fried eggs?

PAT:  Neutral.

NIC:  I have a parka that's covered in what looks like fried egg.

PAT:  What is it really?

NIC:  Fried egg. That's why it looks that way.

PAT:  I love it. She'll take seven.

NIC:  What about toadstools?

PAT:  Into it.

NIC:  Algae?

PAT:  Obsessed.

NIC:  What does she think of fallen empires?

PAT:  Can their essence be expressed using the color beige?

NIC:  I suppose so.

PAT:  Then yes.

NIC:  How did you style--I mean, coordinate--that look she wore at the Golden Globes last year?

PAT:  We were walking by a clothesline. Diane grabbed all the items off the line, put them on, and got in her limo.

NIC:  Fascinating.

PAT:  I don't try to understand genius. I just bear witness to it.

NIC:  Have you ever seen her get angry?

PAT:  Once she dug a hole in the ground six feet deep, placed a single orchid in the hole, and walked away. She didn't demonstrate her rage, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there, and was buried with that poor flower.

NIC:  I just remembered I have a skirt made entirely of orchids, but it's attached to a Hazmat suit.

PAT:  Well, well, well.

    (PAT smiles.)

PAT:  You've been holding out on me.

End of Play

No comments:

Post a Comment