Friday, June 11, 2021

It's Supposed To Be Nice Out

I’m just asking

If we have weekend plans


It’s Tuesday

So if we’re going

To go see my sister this weekend

At the house on the Cape

I need to let her know

And I need to buy snacks

For the ride there

Because last time

We didn’t have the right snacks

And Danny was miserable

By the time we got there


I just don’t want

To be sitting at home

All weekend

And waste the whole thing


It’s supposed to be nice out


Did you hear

It’s supposed to be nice out?


If it’s nice out

I want to do something

So we should think about

What we want to do

Because I’m not sitting at home

If it’s nice out

With the kids watching the tv

And you and me

Just sitting on the couch

Doing nothing


We gotta do something

It’s going to be nice


Remember that weekend

Three years ago

When they said it was going to rain

And then it didn’t

And we were all sitting at home

And it was beautiful out?


Remember how miserable

Danny was that weekend?


Monday came around

And it had been beautiful

All weekend

And I go to work

And everybody’s talking about

All the things they did that weekend

Because as soon as they saw

It wasn’t going to rain

They got in their car

And they went to the Cape

And we didn’t

Because I need time

I need time to get everything ready

And I was all mad

Because wouldn’t I like to be one

Of those people

Who can just throw their whole family in the car

And go see their sister on the Cape

With all the wrong snacks

But I can’t because Danny would hate that

But he was miserable anyway

Because we stayed home

So we should have just gone anyway


That’s why we never stay home

On weekends

Nice or not

We make plans

And you know I need time to plan

So if we’re going something this weekend

I need to know now

Because it’s already Tuesday

And before you know it

It’ll be Friday

And we should really leave on Thursday

To beat the traffic


Can you get Friday off?

I don’t want to be leaving on Friday

And hitting all that traffic


I want to get there early
I want to put our things away

And I want to relax


I just want to relax


I work all week

I want to relax

When I go away

And I want to go away this weekend

Because it’s supposed to be nice out


If you don’t want to go

You don’t have to go

But we need to do something

Because I’m not sitting at home all weekend

Like a bump on a log

Twiddlin’ my thumbs

And with my eyes glued to the tv

Like I’m a zombie

When it’s eighty degrees outside


Let me know if I need

To get the snacks

Let me know if I need

To call my sister

And let me know

If you think I should bring

A few different bathing suits

Depending on how many times

You want to go to the beach

Because if we’re going more than one day--


I don’t really want to go

More than one day

Because you get all sandy

And the kids track the sand

Into my sister’s house

And she complains

And who feels like hearing her?


See, this is why I hate going anywhere

I wish we could just stay home

But it’s too nice out


It’s just too nice

To stay home

No comments:

Post a Comment