Thursday, June 24, 2021

Nothing Really Matters (Ray of Light, Track 6)

I don’t want

To go on tour again


The last one was small

And we said--


We’re doing something new

It’s intimate


I knew what the problem was


We weren’t going to sell out arenas

With the new album


The one before that was more pop

We even got a single off it


I remember how excited everyone was

When I said I would be willing

To record that song what’s-her-name gave me

Because they knew it would chart

And once that happened

I was doing arenas again


I have enough hits like--


Like the Stones

The Stones can always play arenas


If you have enough hits

You play arenas no matter

How often you go out


Well, that’s not always true, but--


Sometimes all I have to say is--


I’ll sing…


And I throw out a song

I haven’t sung in years

And everyone gets excited

And they’re booking the Garden

They’re booking Dodgers Stadium

It’s my ninth comeback


But the last tour was--


It was kind of fun

I had fun


Hadn’t played venues

That small since my first tour

And even then

We were turning them away

At the door

Lines down the street


It’s not like that anymore


But once you decide

You don’t want to tour

That’s it


There are artists

Who don’t tour

But you can’t be

A rockstar if you don’t tour


Some people would probably say

I was never a rockstar

But I could make myself believe it

When I would walk out

And thousands and thousands of people

Would be cheering


Someone asked me once

If I was afraid

Stepping out there


All those people


I was never afraid


Because you…


A part of you

Believes that you deserve it


Once you reach that, uh

That pinnacle 

You really feel like

That’s where you’re meant to be


That there’s no way

You would ever have wound up

Anywhere else


And a part of you thinks

That you’ll never come down


If people love you that much

It’s--It’s like a relationship

When it’s good

You don’t ever believe

It won’t be good forever


And you’re never afraid


I wasn’t, anyway


But I don’t want to go

Back on tour


It’s diminishing returns


The first time around is the best time

And it never really--


Gets back to that again


But I love music

And I love making music

And I love knowing

Someone’s listening


That’s the part

Most people forget about


That you’re making it

For someone


That’s the part that

Really matters

No comments:

Post a Comment