Monday, July 21, 2014

Beautiful Houses in Bad Neighborhoods

Spent all your money, didn't you?

On a beautiful house
In a bad neighborhood

So what--you could be King of the Pond?

Should have bought a pond
You bought everything else

A pool, a deck, a shed
What--you thought I wasn't going to say anything
You been gone too long
You forgot too much

Damn...

You know I like this

Drinking a beer
On your porch

You got a porch now

We never had porches
Where we grew up
Nobody did

Remember when your cousin
Got the apartment that had the patio
And we teased her for a month
Because we thought she was going to be a snob about it?

A snob about a patio
And now look

A porch

You could even barbecue if you wanted to

What's next, huh?

A hot tub?
A popcorn machine?
An ice skating rink?
I mean, where does it end, huh?

No, it's cool
I mean--

...I'm happy for you

I am and I'm not, you know

But I am
There's a part of me that...
I am, and the other part...

Well, you can't have everything, right?

We're still drinking cheap wine out of red cups
So I guess you didn't move too far
From the Target, huh?

I knew eventually you'd be on your way somewhere

All of us at parties
Dancing, acting stupid
And you'd be the one in the corner
Keeping to yourself
Making plans
Thinking everything over

Watching us
Probably thinking of how much better
You were going to be

My mom used to say
Keep an eye on that one
The ones who sit by themselves
They end up making millions

And now here you are

Sitting on a porch

Hey, at least I got an invite, right?

Not like I had to go far

Listen, I don't want to tell you what's what
Because clearly you're doing better than me, but--

I mean, this place is nice and all
But it's still not far from where you took off from
You know what I mean?

A pretty house
Surrounded by--

Ha...it's like the flower in the weeds, you know?

So what I'm saying is--

Don't settle for this, okay?

It's all right for grillin' burgers
And havin' your friends over
Drinking or whatever
But just...

Don't stop here

You got a lot more in you than this

You got a penthouse in you, if you want it
A mansion even

This is just the pond, all right?
The lake, the puddle
The pool

And it's nice, but--

Keep going

You got me?

Don't stop until you turn around
And you can't even see the shit
You left behind you

Then you'll know you're somebody

When you can't see me
At all

No comments:

Post a Comment