Monday, July 28, 2014

Tough Crowd

I drove here from Jersey
Jersey, I'm not kidding
All the way here
All the way to--

Where are we anyway?

God, I don't...

I'm tired

I'm not very funny when I'm tired
So...sorry for that

But I'm not going to lie to you
I'm not going to promise you something
I can't deliver on

Doesn't seem...

Just wouldn't be...uh...

At, uh, what age do you think you're too old
To go around
Wearing a white t-shirt
And jeans, and sneakers
And act like, you know, that's fine
That--That that's okay?

I wish somebody would tell me
When I'm too old
You know...like now?

I'm looking forward to things
Not now, not being here now
Sorry--I said sorry, right?

I'm looking forward to something that's going to happen later
And that's, you know, the story of my life

The thing that's going on an hour from now
A day from now, a month--

That's what interests me

On the way here I was really looking forward to being here
And now I'm here
And I need to be somewhere else

After this, when I'm done, I mean
You'll all--Well, I doubt you'll clap, but...

I'll go back to my room
Or to a diner
Have something to eat
Maybe catch a late movie
But, eventually, you know, the room
The quiet hotel room
Motel, sorry, motel
I can't--it's motels
Which is fine
It's not like I need the Four Seasons

And I'll get there
To my room
The place that--right now
I want to be at more than...anything

And I'll sit on my bed
And think about how this went
Right now
Whether or not I was...funny

I'll sit there
And beat myself up
Oh well, you know
Oh well

Next time, I'll say
Next time

Always next time

And I'm looking forward to it
To next time, I mean

I really think
It's going to be...

...Something

No comments:

Post a Comment