Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Jazz



I used to take her out for jazz
Seemed like the smart thing to do

I don’t know much about jazz
Never did
Not sure how I ended up
In New Orleans
But here I am

The letter I got says I can go back to Rhode Island
But I got another letter from her
Saying ‘Don’t come back’

I had a dad who was good at playing things
Trumpets and people

I can’t play a damn thing

I sit on couches and fall asleep
I leave the tv on
To echo through my apartment
Making me feel like there’s somebody in the house
But me

The house I’m in was here before Katrina
And there are marks on the walls
Where the water came up

Sometimes I have dreams
About the ghost of the water

I wake up and I’m drenched
But the house is dry
Can you explain that?

A person’s not the only thing
That knows how to haunt

Sometimes a notion sticks around
Long after it’s supposed to have died

She stands out in the hallway
As a notion, not a lady
As a silhouette of remembrance
As a trick of the eye, trick of the mind
As a lost memory

She wants me to go to bed
She says she’ll meet me there

But a letter written by someone a lot more solid than her
Says ‘Don’t come back’
So I don’t

And I don’t ask why

Why ask, right?

Whatever she thinks you did
You did

Whatever notion she’s got in her head
Ain’t goin’ away

You can drown in all the water
That isn’t really there

So you leave the tv on
And the lights on
And doors open
And the windows closed

But the jazz music sneaks in through the cracks
The music you don’t live anywhere near
The kind that lives in your past

It plays for you

It plays, and plays, and plays…

No comments:

Post a Comment