Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: A Letter from Mom


Dear Connie, Carl, Karen, and…Oh God, what’s the other one’s name…Uh…

--Sweetheart

This is Mom
Most people tell you that
At the end of the letter
But I might as well tell you now

As you’ve probably heard
I don’t plan on returning
From Hawaii

I’ve met a man named Rick
And we are in love

Well…maybe love is too strong a word

I enjoy him

He’s young
And funny
And he has terrible eyesight
So he thinks I’m twenty-four

That was a joke

You probably can’t tell
Without hearing the inflection
In my voice

Rick is a surfer
And he’s been teaching me to surf

I’ve been doing pretty well
If you consider ‘not dying’
Doing well

I knew you wouldn’t approve of my new relationship
Which is why I didn’t tell you when Rick proposed to me
And I accepted

I’m having Karen tell you
Because she’s always been the most level-headed one
And also, the most medicated out of the four of you

By the time you read this letter
I’ll already be married
I’m sorry none of you could attend the wedding
But I was worried one or more of you
Might object

I understand why you might think I’ve lost my mind

Anytime somebody over the age of forty starts over
Their kids think they’re insane
Because young people think they’re the only ones
Who are entitled to recklessness

I know you’d like me to come back to Rhode Island
But I’m afraid that’s not going to happen

I had my Rhode Island life

It was lovely
It was long
And I feel lucky to have had it

But now I have a new life
And I like it
I like it very much

When your father died
I thought that was it for me
It was going to be nothing but trips to the supermarket
And bingo
And old movies on tv

Then I was exiled
And suddenly I had to come alive again

I had to figure things out
And solve problems
And be a participant in the world

Was I happy about it?
Of course not
But I had no choice

I had to wake up

And now I’m awake
And I’m grabbing life
And Rick’s grabbing me
And things are wonderful

You should never be the last person at the party
Not even when you’re the one throwing it

I love you all very much
Connie, and Carl, and Karen, and…

…You

I hope you can be happy for me
Because I’m so happy for me

Love, Mom

P.S.  Rick says you can wait a few weeks before you start calling him Dad

1 comment:

  1. I can hear Lynn reading this. Or speaking it. You were inside her head when you wrote it.

    ReplyDelete