Monday, July 7, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: The Fish



I clean my hands in the river
See the fish flopping on the shore
Wants to get back in
Yeah, I know
Don’t I know it

You belong somewhere
And somebody comes along
And takes you out
Puts you down somewhere else
Somewhere you can’t breathe
Where you can’t catch your breath

I took my clothes off
Left them on the shore
I clean my hands
I clean my face
I want to drink the water
But I got a feeling it’s a bad idea

Water, water everywhere
And all of it tastes like shit

Be a dumb move
Drinking the same water
You’re washing up with, right?

I look over at the fish
Still flopping
If he’s still alive when I’m done washing up
I’ll put him back in the river
If you cling to your old life that hard for that long
You deserve to get it back
Otherwise, you better grow lungs
Like the rest of us

I look up and tell myself it’s the same sky
Even in Rhode Island
Same as Kentucky, no different
Probably not as blue, but oh well, right?

Oh well

I finish washing up
And make my way to the shore
To the fish
Half-rooting for him to be dead
So I can have some dinner

And half-wanting him to be alive
So I’ll know it’s possible
To be gone for that long
And still make it

No comments:

Post a Comment