Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Paradise



From here Rhode Island
Looks like paradise

Funny, huh?

You can’t see the corners
You can’t see the bad spots
You can’t see the things people have
To complain about

You get to the roof of the parking garage at the mall
And you look out onto this city, this state
And it’s a weekend night
And there’s just enough of everything

People
Lights
Activity
Movement

A hand slips into your hand
You look next to you
Where a lovely man stands
A lovely man who is willingly given up
His entire life
So you can come back here

He asked you ‘Why’
You said ‘I wish I could tell you why’

I don’t know
I have…unfinished business here
With this place
This state

I have things left to do

You can dance around the forest all you want
But at some point
You’re going to get pulled back
To your roots

And here I am
Pulled back

‘Thank you,’ you say
To the very, very lovely man
‘Thank you for coming with me’

He looks at you
Leans into you
Puts his lips right up against your ear
And says—

‘There isn’t anywhere I wouldn’t go’

Rhode Island, I’ll admit it
Sometimes you look like paradise
But the man next to me?
He’s Heaven

No question about it

No comments:

Post a Comment