Monday, July 7, 2014

Leaving Rhode Island: Paper Lanterns



One morning there’s a lantern lit
A paper lantern
Lit by flame

The thing
And the thing that could destroy the thing
Existing inside it
Just centimeters away

I woke up to the lit lantern
Before I woke up to the sun

A flicker of light
Must have crossed my face

It takes very little
To wake me up

One morning I got a phone call
Saying he was coming back

I hung up the phone quietly
I stood there quietly
Trying to process
Trying to understand
What I’d heard

I had made myself some coffee
And the news was up on the computer
This war, that war
Everywhere a war

I hadn’t blown out the lantern yet

Who lit it, I wondered?

Not me

I hadn’t lit any of those lanterns in…

I fill up the tub with paper
Lots and lots of paper
Newspaper
Pages ripped out of books
Tissue paper
Anything I can find

And then I drop the paper lantern in the tub

And wait…

Wait…

Wait…

Finally…

…A spark

The tub crackles, it starts to dance

And I walk out
Out of the bathroom
Out of the house

Away from the thing
And the thing that lives inside it

No comments:

Post a Comment