Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Fire Escape

You got no idea what boredom is
You got no--


Listen to me--


No idea


What boredom


Is


Boredom--is love


Ha!


No, but really--


Boredom is 1992


Listen to me now


1992


Sitting in this apartment
This second-floor
Little no-nothing
Apartment
That I couldn’t afford
Even though it was little
And it was no-nothing
Whatever the hell that means

And I’m lying on a bed
With the window open
And this little shitty fan
Blowing on me


Not a stitch of clothing on me
Because the air was hot
And the air getting blown on me was hot
And the air coming in from the open window
Was hot

And I was bored


Because it was a Sunday


And nowadays
It’s Sunday Funday
But back in 1992
And before that
And a little bit after that
Sundays were not fun-days

Because nothing good was on t.v.
Yeah, you could go see a movie
If you had the cash
But I didn’t

And there was no Internet
And you could read a book
If you felt like doing that sort of thing
But when it’s hot like that
You don’t want to do much of anything

And you’re pissed at yourself
For being bored
And not being able
To do a damn thing about it


And at some point
You make you way--


Because you hear a sound
Coming from down
On the street--


So you make your way
Onto the fire escape


And down on the street
Is this hot body
Wearing a pair of shorts
And half a shirt
And so many teeth
It was enough
For seven smiles


And right then

Right then

You know two things:


You know you’re in love
And you know
That your boredom
Is over


Even in the dusty
Dark
Dank
Dim-ity
Of 1992
On a Sunday


You got something to do
You got a fire escape to sit on
And wait
Just wait
For somebody to climb up to you
And ask you what’s up

No comments:

Post a Comment