Thursday, March 22, 2018

Happy

People tell me
I’m good in a crisis


That’s, like, something they say
As, like, a compliment to me


That I’m good
In an emergency situation


But when they talk about
Uh, something about me that--


That they don’t like
Or that they think
Is a weakness


What always comes up
Is that I can’t seem to, uh
Uh, stay happy?

Or that, uh, if I’m happy
I always act like--


Oh, it’s not going to last


LIke, I can’t, I don’t know
Live in the moment
Or something?


That I’m always
Expecting the worst


But what I find funny about that
Is that, in my mind
They’re connected


Like, the reason I’m good in a crisis
Is because I’m always expecting the worst


Isn’t that obvious?
Shouldn’t that be obvious?


I mean, if I was going around
Happy all the time
And just, like, thinking
It was going to be that way forever


That means that when something bad happens
I’m screwed
Because I didn’t see it coming


Whereas, the way I am now
The, you know, cynical pragmatic me
Is never really surprised when bad stuff happens
Because I’m always like--


Yeah, that’s about what I’d expected


So it’s not that I have some great bravery
Or anything
When it comes to me, you know
Dealing with bad situations
It’s just that I’m, uh, prepared


It's just that it doesn’t, uh,
Take me by surprise


And so I feel like
We should encourage, you know
People to kind of--


Understand that happiness
Is just another feeling


That it’s something that’s not supposed to, uh
Go on and on forever


You know what people are like--
The kind of people who, uh
Think they’re going to be happy forever?

They do stupid shit
To end the happiness
Because, it’s like, we’re humans


We get bored


We get bored
With just about anything
No matter what it is


Even happiness!


So, like, guys with happy families
And loving wives
And kids


They get a divorce
And get a toupee
And marry someone young enough
To be their granddaughter

And it’s because, I think,
They were happy
And they thought they were always going to be happy
And they, like, couldn’t take it


Like, they couldn’t bear
The thought of that--

Of, like, any feeling
Going on and on forever

So they, like, took their lives
And--Kaboom!


If we just told people that, like--


Look, you’re happy now
But you won’t be forever
So just, like, chill out
And wait for it to go away


Because then!


--And I think, even, maybe--


Only then


Can we ever be happy

And be happy
About being happy

That's what I think

I mean, for what it’s worth?

That’s my take on it

No comments:

Post a Comment