Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Reading Fisher Again

We’re reading
Fisher again

Sexist, homophobic
Harmful
Meaningful
Lousy fucking Fisher

Fisher, Fisher, Fisher

We’re reading
Fisher again

Not to say again as though
I’ve read it before
Because I certainly haven’t

But again as in—

People
Are Reading
Fisher again

People are being made
To read Fisher
Again

Do you believe it?
Do you fucking believe it?

And not even interesting Fisher
Not even the racist stuff
That almost seems to be making a commentary
On racism
But really isn’t?

Because Fisher was as racist
As it fucking gets

No, we’re not reading
The Wax Turtle

The fucking Wax Turtle
Which is abysmal
But at least, uh
You know, kind of like--

A plane crash
A dated plane crash
Sort of--

Oddly, you know--

A can't-look-away
Kind of situation

No

We’re reading Elliott’s Surprise

Yes

Yes, yes, yes

Elliott's Surprise

Which is good for nothing but toilet paper
In my opinion

We sit there
In our circle of desks
Listened to Dr. Olanporte
Go on and on
About Fisher

Our books are in front of us
The cover
The fucking cover

Do you know what it is?

On the cover?

A man’s Watch

Which is just—

I mean, it doesn’t get
More extreme than that

If you’re looking for
Pure, unadulterated
Fisher

The sentences flex

Did you know that?
I didn’t know that

According to Dr. Olanporte
They flex

They stretch
They bend to your own perspective
On what Fisher is
And what he could be

Mumbo jumbo garbage
That’s what that is

And do you know something?

Dr. Olanporte looks at my legs

He thinks I don’t notice
But I notice
And everyone notices me notice
Except for him

The girl next to me
The beautiful girl
Who went down on me last night
After the Modern Fiction workshop?

--She notices

She tells me to say something

But I don’t want to say anything
I just want to get through this fucking class
That we’re required to take
Because Olanporte runs the department
And so we’re reading Fisher
And after Fisher
God only knows

The syllabus only says ‘TBD’
And never
Never
Have three letters
Looked more ominous

You're not even supposed
To TBD that much

But when you’re a tenured professor
In his late-seventies
You can TDB to your heart’s delight
And nobody can say a damn thing
And so that’s what Olanporte does

And we’re all just sitting here
With barely touched copies
Of Elliott’s Surprise

A book that should have gone out of style
With The Taming of the Shrew
And the Magna fucking Carta

The watch on the cover
Doesn’t tick
And neither does the clock
Above the classroom door

Fisher’s name is written in bold font
The color of rumbling papaya

I’m tempted to fill in the font
With the blackest pen I can find
But then I won’t be able to sell it back
Once the semester is over
And get my coveted fifty cent return

Olanporte reads from the book
And the girl next to me
Slips her foot towards mine
As a show of sexual solidarity
--Or maybe it’s just a happy accident

I pull my foot away
Not wanting any comfort

If I’m going to be miserable
I might as well be fully miserable
And not just halfway there

The words from the book
Flick their filthy fingers at me
And I allow them to

I allow all of this

All so I can get a degree
And burden myself with debt
In the hopes of one day
Sitting where Olanporte is sitting now

Making some other poor young woman
Read outdated garbage
She’d rather not read

And all because I enjoy it
In spite of the younger resistance
Which will come
As it always does

Nobody escapes it

Fisher certainly didn’t
And neither will I

The time runs out
And the class is dismissed

I get up and walk to the door
The last to leave
Too embattled to escape
Any faster

Before I make my exit
I lock eyes with Olanporte
The Head Executioner
The Man O’ the Gallows
The Torture Teacher

I step towards the wastebasket
Holding Elliott’s Surprise above it
Using only two fingers

And without a blink
Or a smirk
I let the novel
Fall

No comments:

Post a Comment