Monday, March 19, 2018

Nobody Looks Like That Anymore

Nobody looks like that anymore


You look at those old movie stars
Those old people
With those chins


Those chins?


Nobody has those chins anymore


We have genetically
We have--


We have systematically
And genetically
Gotten rid of
Chins like the kind you used to see
In the 1930’s, 1940’s--


I mean, you just don’t see
Chins like those anymore


You’ve got a completely different look
Going on now


You see my eyelids?


You think you can get work
With eyelids like these?


Why do you think
I’m going in
To Dr. Temple
On Thursday?


You think it’s because I like having six hours of surgery
Just so I can get a few more jobs
Before I get sent off
To some commune
Some ashram
Some whatever
--Because I’m not ready to give up yet?


Because I’m not willing
To call it quits?


I have to have my eyelids done
I have to have my shoulders done
I have to have my knees done


My knees, I’m not kidding


It’s crazy
It’s crazy what you have to--


And I’m playing along with it


I can’t be all innocent about this


I can’t act like
I’m not contributing
To this--


To all this--bullshit

Because I am

I know I am


And I’m not proud of it


But you know
The people out there
Who could change the rules--


And those people do exist
They are out there


They’re not doing shit about it

About the rules
I mean


They’re not moving a finger
To fix any of this
And so I have to have
A consultation

Where some overpriced surgeon
Discusses whether or not
I should make my tits a little bigger
While I’m in recovery
For an eyelid reduction


I mean, it is nuts


And, you know, if most of these people
These stars
These movie stars
From years ago


If they tried to make it today--


Do you know what they would do
To Greta Garbo
If she showed up in Hollywood today?


Do you know what they would do
To her fucking eyelids?


It would be brutal
It would be absolutely brutal


And they’d probably admit it

They’d probably say
It was necessary


Because nobody looks like that anymore

And--here’s the kicker--


Nobody wants to


Some of the most gorgeous people
The most beautiful humans
Who have ever walked the earth
And nobody looks like them anymore
And nobody wants to


That’s the sin of it, you know
That’s the real sin


That’s the thing, where
If you think about it too much


It’ll fuck you up


It’ll really
Really

Fuck you up

No comments:

Post a Comment